Header Install Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys I am finally getting around to ordering some headers. Have a couple questions about the install. LMC offers a power steering spacer kit. Is that necessary for installation on my stock 305? I have an 85 K10 original motor and all accessories. I also read that the stock a/c bracket must be cut to get rid of the second mounting hole. That’s no big deal but for the first hole does it need a spacer to take up the space of the original manifold? Just curious about your installation and what you used. I am ordering headman headers if that info is needed. Thanks for the help.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
you shouldnt need a spacer, that first bolt that the AC bracket reaches around to, should tighten right down.
It should be one of those special bolts that has the threaded area above the main hex hed for other things, like brackets to be fastened, with a nut.
your existing manifold bolts may be too long for the new header flanges, and you may just want to replace them with a good set of ARP hardware, with lockers on them, so they dont back out, and blow the gaskets.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You will need a spacer for the front bolt. If you like, I can take pictures in the morning to illustrate exactly why, and what bracket needs modified.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
used a socket, or some nuts, or washers, or even some tubing or something to serve as a spacer, did it many times.

jasonconaway

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A different bracket

I know this is a old thread, but I am fixing to do the same with my 84. I have the AC bracket off that needs to be cut. But there is still a bracket that is held on by the first manifold bolt. It was under the ac bracket. How does that come off. I cant see what it is bolted to other than the front bolt when I took the ac braket off. it kind of wraps around from the front to the first manifold bolt.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I believe that's your power steering bracket and you can use a spacer or washers, preferably not a socket though. lol

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had the same questions for my 86 350. Can somebody take some pics of what has to be cut and what mods are required for the headers to fit correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's pretty simple really, the AC bracket that bolts to two of the exhaust manifold studs has two "legs", one leg for each stud. You simply saw off the rear "leg" because it will interfere with the header's primary tube.

Found a pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do you need to reinforce the ac bracket after cutting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nope, it doesn't hurt it. Although it doesn't hurt to make a clean cut unlike what is shown above.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Another related question, when browsing headers on Summit it would show some alternator bracket as being a required modification for the headers? Any info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
It's pretty simple really, the AC bracket that bolts to two of the exhaust manifold studs has two "legs", one leg for each stud. You simply saw off the rear "leg" because it will interfere with the header's primary tube.

Found a pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

Anybody know where I can get a replacement bracket like this? I had my engine rebuilt a few years back, And just like the pic, They had to cut out a notch to get the header in. Well anyway, the guy put on a wrong size belt on it, it came off while driving down the road, wrapped around the compressor, finally broke. But in the process, it tweaked that bracket just a hair. Enough to notice when the belt is on and engine running, that its swerving just a tad. I had it like that for a few years now with no issues, but I gnaws at me. I want to replace it. I've been to the junk yards with no luck finding one.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Yup.

Forum statistics

Threads