Hazards not working help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hi guys! Now I've been trying to get my truck through its UK test! Initially the fails were no turn signals or hazards no horn and some welding!

Right welding done, horn sorted via a new dash mounted switch (cos the horn relay was rotted out) turn signals sorted(had to remove the plug at the bottom of the column permanently joined together!) only thing I can't get working are the hazards? Any ideas? Not sure if the switch is any good?

Haven't got time to get bits from the US there's a show in 2 weeks here! Preferably need to know how to wire a separate switch in?

Paul

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Have you looked for any of the service manuals for this yet? I ended up getting the manual that the department of Defense made for mine. It comes on a cd rom, and contains all 940 + pages of the original army manual. Found it on ebay. It's helped a TON on sorting my d30 out. Another excellent resource is Steelsoldiers.com. I spent many days there researching the electrical gremlins that mine had. They also cover the basic electronic ptoblems and upgrades that are common to all these old chevy m1008s.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yeah I got the wiring diagrams off here and been though them identified the wires for the hazards I tried hooking the wire from switch to one of the turn signal wires but nothing? Do I need to have all 4hooked up to it for it to work? The relay works I put it in the turn signal slot and works fine? Doesn't help that a lot of people have butchered the wiring before and there are wires everywhere!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yeah I got the wiring diagrams off here and been though them identified the wires for the hazards I tried hooking the wire from switch to one of the turn signal wires but nothing? Do I need to have all 4hooked up to it for it to work? The relay works I put it in the turn signal slot and works fine? Doesn't help that a lot of people have butchered the wiring before and there are wires everywhere!

Do we have schematics for the military trucks here? I never thought to check. There's a difference in how the civilian k30 is wired versus the military d30. That's why I mentioned the DOD manual. The light circuit is tied into the blackout light system, and those switches need to be in the correct position before you try to troubleshoot. I had some issues with my lighting circuit prior to reading how the system was designed to operate on the steel soldiers site.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
turn signals sorted(had to remove the plug at the bottom of the column permanently joined together!) only thing I can't get working are the hazards? Any ideas? Not sure if the switch is any good?
Paul

Not sure what this means:

turn signals sorted (had to remove the plug at the bottom of the column permanently joined together!)

The two sets of contacts - used in that switch assembly at the base of the steering column - are not involved with the directionals in any way. One set of contacts is used to activate the backup lights when the gearshift is in "R" and the other set is the Neutral Safety Switch - inhibits operation of the starter unless the gearshift is in either P/N.

Anyway, as far as the e-lights, first check for power into the hazard flasher. Pull the relay and confirm 12 VDC at the hot side socket (horizontal slot, furthest outboard). If no voltage there, check the fuse labeled STOP - HAZ

If you have power there (and since you have confirmed that the relay is good) try applying a proper load to the relay (on the BRN 27) lead.

Yes, your suspicion is spot on - the relay is of the thermal type and it will not flash unless there is sufficient current draw on the load side. The thing is, while it won't flash the lights without a rated load, it will illuminate whatever lamp is connected. Only the flashing (opening/closing of the contacts) aspect is affected by insufficient current draw.

Try running the flasher relay on the directional wiring again. This time connect the leads to both front parking lights (LT BLU & DK BLU) and the common lead for brake/rear directional lighting (YEL). If that temporary setup operates the flasher relay (and presumably flashes the lights in all four corners), you will have found a place in the circuit where you can splice in a manual switch for hazard light operation.

You must be registered for see images attach

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Do you have a link to where I can get the DOD manual?

I know the turn signals don't work the the Hazard switch pushed in?

Going out in a minute to check the relay power try connecting it to a decent load

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have the CUCV manuals. They cover the systems used with the M10** series (i.e. M1008, M1009, M1010, M1028, M1031 and the specialized variations of each class). Just uploaded them to DF as rar files (no PW to open):

http://depositfiles.com/files/mz7lkqoxr (82 pages, 1.06 mb)

http://depositfiles.com/files/dhlygqmuy (984 pages, 6.04 mb)

http://depositfiles.com/files/d77dl4nnq (984 pages, 8.59 mb)

http://depositfiles.com/files/jgljyryei (1024 pages, 11.51 mb)

http://depositfiles.com/files/qcwpwjtfq (940 pages, 12.33 mb)

Depositfiles is safe and free (just click "reveal" and type in the security code that is given - then select "regular download"). Unfortunately, you will have a waiting period between each download.

Last edited:

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Looks like I haven't got 12v at the relay checked all fuses they look OK so might have to run 12v from somewhere else into the relay and give that a try?where else near there is a permanent live?

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Permanent live? As in always hot? There should be unused female terminals in the fuse box at the top. Some are acc. on, some always hot. Push a wired male terminal to steal power from there. Remember to fuse it.

Or if from under hood area, I think there's a buss bar at the firewall.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yeah always hot lol! Be the weekend before I can get out there again though! Thanks

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Well fingers crossed I appear to have everything working again thanks guys for all your help! Just gotta hope its all still working on Saturday for it's test!

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Hey! That's great news! Fingers crossed!

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Good news test passed and finally getting some use out of the truck! Took it to local American car show thanks for all you're help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128