have you seen this re-wire kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so heres a fun story... pulled into work the other day and the hood was pouring smoke. pop it up and appears the choke cable was a little to long and was hitting the air filter... she only burnt half way around. since I keep her in the garage I just ripped the cable out (attached to the metal dash below the radio, now I don't have headlights or taillights that work.

196549331tpc

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2001 LS 5.3
Hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so heres a fun story... pulled into work the other day and the hood was pouring smoke. pop it up and appears the choke cable was a little to long and was hitting the air filter... she only burnt half way around. since I keep her in the garage I just ripped the cable out (attached to the metal dash below the radio, now I don't have headlights or taillights that work.

does anyone have an idea what would cause this?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
@gmachinz@gmachinz So if I wanted to venture the process and a price for a complete harness... If I were wanting a replacement harness for a 1985 Jimmy incorporating an LS swap, rear power window, power seats from a 2003 Yukon, and the HD harness for quad headlights and power windows from LMC, and in the future incorporating the Vintage air AC unit, is there any idea of what the cost might be? I have a rat's nest under my dash, so bad in fact I am afraid to hook a battery to it. I bought one of the 21 circuit universal kits, and it is a decent one, but I would not mind spending a little more money to get something that is a lot more OEM....

Thanks sir.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Also, while I was thinking of it, is it possible to incoroporate auto down on the windows (like on the switches)?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can offer everything you listed as a package price but theres quite a bit I need to know first. But ballpark, for a bumper to bumper K5 truck harness stock with basically full power options w/relay and/or auto down for rear gate glass and front windows, relay power quad headlights (I can incorporate adjustable headlight delay off lighting too), power seat add you'd be looking in the neighborhood of $1550 or so. Keep in mind too my harnesses arent comprised of connectors and rolls of wires-they are all ready to install factory style harnesses with all the correct looming, retainers, etc.

Then to incorporate an LS swap harness into it with PCM mounted behind glovebox for example figure adding another $600 to the cost for a total of around $2150 or so. Again, there are details I'd need to know about but hopefully that gives you some idea of a total cost +\- a couple hundred $$ or so.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Amazing the connections (pun not intended) one can make on a good forum...

@gmachinz.... would you be interested in a paid vacation to umm... BC? Maybe next spring when the fish are biting?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Auto electric really isn't so difficult at all, but I get driven crazy by it. At the end of the day I always get everything working but it's still an uphill struggle trying to run in a bad dream.
My dream is to wire my truck from the ground (again pun) up one wire at a time so that if any electrical problem whatsoever occurs I will know exactly what is wrong. Big dreams eh? I want to know exactly which and where every single stinking wire is going and why..
Am I just effin weirdo stoner cunuck?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Auto electric really isn't so difficult at all, but I get driven crazy by it. At the end of the day I always get everything working but it's still an uphill struggle trying to run in a bad dream.
My dream is to wire my truck from the ground (again pun) up one wire at a time so that if any electrical problem whatsoever occurs I will know exactly what is wrong. Big dreams eh? I want to know exactly which and where every single stinking wire is going and why..

Nope, you are not! I went through this with my Camaro. I removed all the wires from the car, cleaned them, combed them, then bundled them nicely. I spent a lot of time and effort on organizing the wires into bundles. In this way I was able to inspect all of the wiring for cracks, breaks, etc then install the way I wanted so that the under-dash was as clean and organized as possible.

It was a lot of work, but I was able to get the wiring looking nice and new, and I'm comfortable with it in the way you described above!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's the way I'll be doing mine..

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I can offer everything you listed as a package price but theres quite a bit I need to know first. But ballpark, for a bumper to bumper K5 truck harness stock with basically full power options w/relay and/or auto down for rear gate glass and front windows, relay power quad headlights (I can incorporate adjustable headlight delay off lighting too), power seat add you'd be looking in the neighborhood of $1550 or so. Keep in mind too my harnesses arent comprised of connectors and rolls of wires-they are all ready to install factory style harnesses with all the correct looming, retainers, etc.

Then to incorporate an LS swap harness into it with PCM mounted behind glovebox for example figure adding another $600 to the cost for a total of around $2150 or so. Again, there are details I'd need to know about but hopefully that gives you some idea of a total cost +\- a couple hundred $$ or so.

I appreciate the rough estimate. Its quite a bit of payola for that option. I was thinking if it was in the neighborhood of 500 to 700 bucks I might spring for that but pushing beyond that, heck its more than I paid for the truck originally, lol. I reckon I will keep plugging along with the 21 circuit setup I have and will just add a circuit breaker with power distribution setup for the seats, lights and windows... Then I was reading on another thread for the back window... I'll probably work on it eventually but I was able to look closely and it looks like the wiring and connections are still in good shape for the window so I'll just tie it into the power feed in a quasi original setup.

Thanks @gmachinz

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I appreciate the rough estimate. Its quite a bit of payola for that option. I was thinking if it was in the neighborhood of 500 to 700 bucks I might spring for that but pushing beyond that, heck its more than I paid for the truck originally, lol. I reckon I will keep plugging along with the 21 circuit setup I have and will just add a circuit breaker with power distribution setup for the seats, lights and windows... Then I was reading on another thread for the back window... I'll probably work on it eventually but I was able to look closely and it looks like the wiring and connections are still in good shape for the window so I'll just tie it into the power feed in a quasi original setup.

Thanks @gmachinz

it sounds like a lot of money ... but for a full custom replacement OE style harness, its not bad.

just think what GM would charge for a full harness.

I thought about going the route of the universal harnesses as well .... but im wanting to a frame-off gut and rebuild. Plug and play is the way im going. Gmachines is getting my money when its time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara