Has Anyone Bought This A/C Compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This new compressor is very comparable in price to a new one from RockAuto. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this particular model.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are hit and miss. Some last a while, but others fail in a short amount of time. Some are noisy while others are quiet, but that's not really an indicator of how long they might last. It's the same with all brands, even AC Delco.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I guess I just gotta go for it, then. Mine still has the original Harrison compressor so I guess we'll see if the new one makes it to 2047.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
All new R4s are made by Compressor Works out of Dallas, IIRC. GM / Delphi sold off the tooling a number of years ago, thus all brands, including AC/Delco, have the same hit an miss reputation. There have been rumors of different 'grades' of them, or made on different tooling, but I am not convinced this is accurate. R4 was not a great compressor to start with anyway.

I searched for quite a while to find a good (used), genuine Delphi (probably from near the end of production) made R4 for my Caprice. Finally found a good one that was a dealer service part installed on a 90s era truck. Anything else (including other branded units) was on a contaminated system with an orifice tube full of garbage.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought one this summer, installed it along with all new parts: condensor, evaporator, hoses and drier. Took it to a shop to get charged and the compressor locked up before a minute passed. Took it back to O'Rielly's under warranty, put the new one on, charged up and going good. My biggest issue with it all was the fact when I took every thing apart to clean and flush the system was while taking the hose off the condensor the hose fitting ate the threads off the condensor fitting so I had to replace that again.:wtf2:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have one that makes a racket noise at certain rpm's but works. Done it from when it was new couple of years ago.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
While there is lots of risk with the route I took, you guys are reinforcing the reason I did it. I can change the front seal myself if needed (already had the double lip seal) and did have to change the clutch to a Vee belt style.
It's a shame when you stuff is so old and the OEM is 'out of business'.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
My A/C doesnt work and I was told from the PO that it was a seized compressor. Its 30 something years old, I could see something compressor wise being faulty. While I need to do some diag, I thought that I would just slap on one of these compressors........ but now Im beginning to think that I should do the diag first and make sure.... mhmm.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So it sounds like horror stories, mediocre stories, and success stories. I wouldn't mind having to replace the compressor again if it failed, but you have to replace the accumulator and orifice tube again for the warranty. Then you have to buy x amount of freon again, and that's money you're not getting back.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is why I have not replaced the noisy one and just left it installed. It was already a warranty swap unit. If I have to do it again, a sanden compressor is going to be installed. About $250-$300 higher in price to get one installed, but much better unit with better efficiency.
So it sounds like horror stories, mediocre stories, and success stories. I wouldn't mind having to replace the compressor again if it failed, but you have to replace the accumulator and orifice tube again for the warranty. Then you have to buy x amount of freon again, and that's money you're not getting back.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That is why I have not replaced the noisy one and just left it installed. It was already a warranty swap unit. If I have to do it again, a sanden compressor is going to be installed. About $250-$300 higher in price to get one installed, but much better unit with better efficiency.

Exactly. If you get one that's a little noisy but always works... just leave it be.

Reactions: WFO

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Be sure to get the lifetime replacement warranty regardless of what ac compressor you buy. For peace of mind...its well worth it. Btw r134a can be purchased by the case at around $4 per can. Make a friend with an ac guy. I did and he buys the r134a for me. At that price, I will end up gathering a few cases so when they change the formula again in a few years, I will be selling the leftovers for 3 times the price like how the r12 is being sold now as GOLD.

May as well invest in r134a. ..so I can pay for replacing all of my ac components...lol

ripple1973

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Be sure to get the lifetime replacement warranty regardless of what ac compressor you buy. For peace of mind...its well worth it. Btw r134a can be purchased by the case at around $4 per can. Make a friend with an ac guy. I did and he buys the r134a for me. At that price, I will end up gathering a few cases so when they change the formula again in a few years, I will be selling the leftovers for 3 times the price like how the r12 is being sold now as GOLD.

May as well invest in r134a. ..so I can pay for replacing all of my ac components...lol

Well there is a new Freon that they are going to it is 1234yf freon so start stocking up! Also if you are replacing a compressor go ahead and replace the condenser to radial flow/parallel flow condenser. It help with the r134 conversion Best 80 dollars i spent especially living in south Texas. Now i need to figure out how to get a better blower motor for my 85 K5 Blazer

Last edited:

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
The worst thing you can do to aan AC system is not run it. You should run it, even in the winter for 10 min a month or so. Here ib Ca, where you might run it 5 days a week in the winter, the compressor will rarely seize, you might get a leak or other problem, but not that.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Still have this on my plate to do. Good info here. I didn't know about running the A/C in the winter, but it makes sense to lube o-rings and seals. In New Orleans, I run the heater just a few days out of the year. There are plenty of air conditioning days between November and February where it's over 80*F. Mississippi gets somewhat colder normally where you don't run the air for a couple months, but the truck did just sit there for a year and a half. I knew about the 1234yf, but I was under the impression that cars older than a certain date running R134a wouldn't be affected by the switch taking place, and it wouldn't be like when they switched in '94. Of course, that all sounds good on paper, and I'm sure they'll find a way to give the folks running the old refrigerant the shaft like people who cling onto R12 get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL