Handy Mike

Anyone out there know much about GMC automatic trnasmission issues ?

• IDK whats a poll response ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK whats a poll response ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handy Mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
P-20 GMC Step Van ( 3/4 ton)
Engine Size
6.2 L Diesel
Hello this is my first ever forum that I have joined. I discovered GM Square Body two weeks ago when I Google search for information regarding my 87 GMC P-20 Step Van fuel gauge issues. This is my first GMC truck. I am a Ford Truck man But I came across this Step Van six years ago and bought it as my future project . I have owned other half and 3/4-ton vans and pick ups in the past but this is my first Step Van. It has the 6.2L V/8 Diesel (non Turbo) and two months ago I began to put this vehicle to use. It has the large heavy duty automatic transmission which I will ID the exact model soon. The trans has a few shifting issues. The Vehicle Chassis and drive train etc is all GMC but the truck body built by Boyertown (no longer is business) is all steel. I have been able to confirm the previous owner was U.S. Air force. And it was limited to "General Use only" on the base. Which may not mean a lot but the odometer reads just over 40,000 miles. I am looking forward to learning more about it as I began the restoration. My primary purpose for the truck is to use in my Handyman business which means for the most part hauling my tools etc. all local use. The engine seems to have governors on it and the gear shifting seems to be in the low range. Not able to go over 50 MPH it sound like it wants to explode it does shift at high RPM but obviously delayed shifting and seems to be in the low gear range. Any help out there with these issues.? I look forward to learning more about this forum and interacting with other Garage Mechanics who like fixing and restoring their own vehicles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

Your trans may actually be fine. It could just be geared very steep and that's just all it's got. Does it go through all the gears?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, being a military vehicle previously, they gear everythng low. Probably has 4.56's with a 6.2 Diesel and a Th400 Non OD, Non Lock Up converter transmission.

BUT.... The delayed shifting you're talking about, I'd inspect the vacuum line to the vac modulator or whatever device they're using with that diesel engine. Diesel engines don't always have enough vacuum to PROPERLY operate a vac modulator and a Th400 depends on that vac modulator to determine shift points and WILL DELAY shifts way late if it's not getting vacuum or the modulator isn't working properly.

With 40,000 miles and being a Th400, there nothing wrong with that transmission other than the 2 minor things, either Vac modulator which I highly suspect as the problem, or the governor inside the 4 bolt square cover on the side of the transmission which I don't suspect because the transmission likely will not shift at all if that was failing.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size