Grille Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Gotcha! Thanks for all the great info! So you think by getting those parts off ebay id be able to do the swap?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You can find every last part for the swap online, but it will get pricey and might take some time to find everything. Personally, I'd find what I could at the junkyard and buy the rest online. Whether it be new or used.

The '83-'84 grilles looked similar. The center bar was narrower and there were more horizontal slats.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good thread on the grill differences.
The custom deluxe also has the same 2 large headlights with turns underneath.
I have to agree with the salvage yard strategy.
There are so many little pieces that can be missed with these swaps.
Grill, bezel, and radiator supports are the big items.
You will also need light buckets, retainer springs, harness, turn signal housing, the chrome/SS trim that goes around the entire setup...
Also when removing from the donor truck it will give you an idea on how to install on yours.
Hope this helps.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Good thread on the grill differences.
The custom deluxe also has the same 2 large headlights with turns underneath.
I have to agree with the salvage yard strategy.
There are so many little pieces that can be missed with these swaps.
Grill, bezel, and radiator supports are the big items.
You will also need light buckets, retainer springs, harness, turn signal housing, the chrome/SS trim that goes around the entire setup...
Also when removing from the donor truck it will give you an idea on how to install on yours.
Hope this helps.
I wish I could find a junkyard with squares in it. For more than one reason lol but all the junk yards ive been to don't seem to have any pre 90's cars at all. I wish I could find a junkyard with donor trucks in it...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Based on the pictures in the last post, and the drawings in the LMC truck catalog, I think you have two trucks with the 83-84 grills. The grills were available with either dual or single headlights. I assume the dual headlight version is the one where they had to move the park lights inside the grill area.

LMC sells the dual headlight grills and the park lights, but after looking at the catalog drawings I'm not sure whether you need any additional bracket to mount the lights on the back of the grill.

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Based on the pictures in the last post, and the drawings in the LMC truck catalog, I think you have two trucks with the 83-84 grills. The grills were available with either dual or single headlights. I assume the dual headlight version is the one where they had to move the park lights inside the grill area.

LMC sells the dual headlight grills and the park lights, but after looking at the catalog drawings I'm not sure whether you need any additional bracket to mount the lights on the back of the grill.

Bruce

I 100% guarantee that the blue trucks posted in this thread have '85-'88 style grilles in them. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I took a look again (while counting grill openings on my fingers), and you are right, both those '84 trucks have '85 and up grills. If the '84 and '85 have the same mounting brackets you may be able to use either grill.

I ended up using about a '79 junkyard grill on my '75, since nobody seems to reproduce the actual '75 grill, especially with a GMC logo. However, then I had to go back to the junkyard to get the brackets since the holes in the newer grill didn't match up with the brackets on my truck.

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I took a look again (while counting grill openings on my fingers), and you are right, both those '84 trucks have '85 and up grills. If the '84 and '85 have the same mounting brackets you may be able to use either grill.

I ended up using about a '79 junkyard grill on my '75, since nobody seems to reproduce the actual '75 grill, especially with a GMC logo. However, then I had to go back to the junkyard to get the brackets since the holes in the newer grill didn't match up with the brackets on my truck.

Bruce

Yes, the '81-'88 grilles swap around pretty easy. You can also use the deluxe grille with the standard 2-headlight setup. And Chevy Van grilles of the same years are also the same and interchangeable. They just need new screw holes across the top to work, which is very simple to do.

Do you by chance still have those '75 GMC grille brackets?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I still have the '75 grill brackets; however I also still have the hope that someday I will find real '75 GMC grill. I ran across one NOS '75 GMC grill at a Carlisle show several years ago and didn't jump on the deal and buy it. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Bruce

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I still have the '75 grill brackets; however I also still have the hope that someday I will find real '75 GMC grill. I ran across one NOS '75 GMC grill at a Carlisle show several years ago and didn't jump on the deal and buy it. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Bruce
Hmmmm there’s an idea for a get together.......

Blazin890

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 LWB
Engine Size
383c.i. Stroker
I wish I could find a junkyard with donor trucks in it...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

French Lake Auto Salvage, Annandale, MN.

BiggG74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
I know this is a late response on this topic. But if you have an Instagram account go to C-10 swapper and you might be able to find your grill and parts I follow them myself and have bought headlight trim from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes