Grille Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Hello, everyone!

So today I bumped into my trucks almost identical cousin. Except this truck was shortbed and it was a Silverado vs my scottsdale. So now I finally have some pictures to ask about grille differences. What makes my grille (1984 C10 Scottsdale longbed) and his (1984 C10 Silverado) grille different? Is it the year? Is it cuz mines a Scotts and his a Silverado? I like his grille so much better. His top and bottom lights are more symmetrical vs my huge roundish top light and smaller rectangle bottom lights, and his truck has an extra set of lights in between the two bottom ones. What decides if a truck has those or not? Year? Trim?? Some clarity and understanding of this would really help. Since im a C10 noob and Wikipedia doesnt say anything about facelifts other than the roudeye to square one...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Neat pictures!

Actually, both of those grilles are of the '85-'88 year range. But, it's just trim and option differences. Silverado trim included the 4 headlights, the grille with trim and the park lights mounted behind the grille. It was optional on a Scottsdale like yours, but most got the standard 2-headlight setup like yours.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Neat pictures!

Actually, both of those grilles are of the '85-'88 year range. But, it's just trim and option differences. Silverado trim included the 4 headlights, the grille with trim and the park lights mounted behind the grille. It was optional on a Scottsdale like yours, but most got the standard 2-headlight setup like yours.
So if theyre from 85-88 and his truck is an 84 like mine then his grille is a swap?? And what would i need to swap a 4 headlight grille onto mine?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So if theyre from 85-88 and his truck is an 84 like mine then his grille is a swap?? And what would i need to swap a 4 headlight grille onto mine?

I think your grille is the same, just the headlight bezel is different. maybe some brackets for the extra running lights behind the grille.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you sure it wasn't an '85 manufactured in late '84? If it is indeed an '84 model, the grille and bezels have been swapped.

To do a changeover, you need the radiator support too. The front lighting harness is also different, but they can be modified for the swap.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think your grille is the same, just the headlight bezel is different. maybe some brackets for the extra running lights behind the grille.

The grill is shaped different to accept the trim. It also has mounting provisions on the back for the park lights.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Are you sure it wasn't an '85 manufactured in late '84? If it is indeed an '84 model, the grille and bezels have been swapped.

To do a changeover, you need the radiator support too. The front lighting harness is also different, but they can be modified for the swap.
Well owner said the tittle says 84. So its either an 83 manufactured as 84 model or 1984. I tried to buy the truck from him but the guy would hear nothing of it. Refused to even listen to an offer.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.

So to do a swap I'd need a 85+ silverado radiator support bracket, grille WITH the running light brackets and the 4 lamp bezels. About the wiring harness, do I really need the harness or can I just run wires off the other lamps to power the other headlamps? And run wires from the side markers to operate the running lamps? Yes, no, maybe so?

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
The grill is shaped different to accept the trim. It also has mounting provisions on the back for the park lights.
So the center portion of the grille is shaped differently?? How? I didn't see any differences in shape on the center piece, I did for the lamp bezels tho.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Neat pictures!

Wait, when you said "both those grilles are from 85-88 range" you mean mine too?? Cuz my truck is definitely an 84 and i havnt swapped a grille onto it. As far as i know, it was just crappily spray painted black. Lol

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
So if I buy these? Some of them say for suburban, didn't find em for c10. And i manage to find the dual headlamps and running lights. Can I do the swap?? After working out the wiring ofc. Also from the picture i dont see any extra brackets behind that grille to fit the parking lamps?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well owner said the tittle says 84. So its either an 83 manufactured as 84 model or 1984. I tried to buy the truck from him but the guy would hear nothing of it. Refused to even listen to an offer.

I won't say he is wrong, but I will say I have dealt with an awful lot of customers over the years that were wrong about the year of there own vehicle. Hell, a lot of them were even off by a decade. Either way, the grill itself is from an '85 or newer.

So the center portion of the grille is shaped differently?? How? I didn't see any differences in shape on the center piece, I did for the lamp bezels tho.

If you saw the grill without the center trim on it, you would see how different they are.

Wait, when you said "both those grilles are from 85-88 range" you mean mine too?? Cuz my truck is definitely an 84 and i havnt swapped a grille onto it. As far as i know, it was just crappily spray painted black. Lol

If your truck is an '84, it has had a different grille installed at some point in it's life.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The grille has tabs on the backside along with studs molded in that the lights attach to.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
I won't say he is wrong, but I will say I have dealt with an awful lot of customers over the years that were wrong about the year of there own vehicle. Hell, a lot of them were even off by a decade. Either way, the grill itself is from an '85 or newer.

If you saw the grill without the center trim on it, you would see how different they are.

If your truck is an '84, it has had a different grille installed at some point in it's life.
Damn so now i really would like to know what an 84 stock grille looked like... Google images doesn't help at all. Im guessing cuz of all the conversions..

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
The grille has tabs on the backside along with studs molded in that the lights attach to.
Gotcha! Thanks for all the great info! So you think by getting those parts off ebay id be able to do the swap?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep