Griffin radiator FAIL!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Lol, nothing wrong with an LS swap, just more electrical crap to fail. Don't know how many times I've thought of doing an LS when I'm filling up the tank on any of my old SBC's after calculating out my mileage. :bawl: I then realize I'm too cheap to ever actually do it, came to the conclusion that my truck will always suck fuel, just drive my little wind up toy Metro to make up for it. :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Lololol

Are you tellin me that vortex motors have a specific radiator and you dudes change that too?! *eyes roll*

If it makes you feel better, I used a big block radiator for my LS swap. So neener neener.

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I almost ran the factory 6.2 radiator I had, but figured it was a good time to spend a little for convenience. Little did I know...

The ls swap definitely has its merits. I've had regrets about ripping that diesel out - don't get me wrong, but when the go pedal hits the floor, there's this weird feeling like I'm actually moving.

I swear I could have a full martini on the dash and not spill a drop at full throttle with that diesel.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just a matter of packaging. All water connections are passenger side - that conversion rad is nice since you don't need to run hoses all over the place.

Join the dark side, and all this radiator b.s. will seem petty :)

You mean STAY on the dark side. Going LS is more like going to the bright side. Some people are old school and will stay that way.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
LS stands for Lots of Spending, but they have thier place keep swapping guys big blocks get cheaper every time yous do.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's a pay off for that spending. MPG and Performance. You can do an LS swap for what? About $3500-$4000 these days? How about a Turbo LS for about $5000? Or you can go buy a 572 BBC Old School crate motor for $10,000. Whose gonna spank who? Which do you want to buy gas for?

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
LS stands for Lots of Spending, but they have thier place keep swapping guys big blocks get cheaper every time yous do.

Hey man ls swaps aren't that expensive! 2k for the entire drivetrain, with a bitchin fresh lq9. For its purpose as daily driver, that couldn't have been a better deal.

I'll try to justify it as best I can... Done plenty of sbc/bbc wrenching and swapping, figured I'd find out what the ls swap was all about - got talked into it by my brother since he wanted to see what they could do as well and we had a perfect candidate for a swap.

Definitely was an interesting and challenging build, but it's probably the last ls swap I'll do for a while. I still love working on carb'd engines, but why not see what all the fuss is about firsthand?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey man ls swaps aren't that expensive! 2k for the entire drivetrain, with a bitchin fresh lq9. For its purpose as daily driver, that couldn't have been a better deal.

I'll try to justify it as best I can... Done plenty of sbc/bbc wrenching and swapping, figured I'd find out what the ls swap was all about - got talked into it by my brother since he wanted to see what they could do as well and we had a perfect candidate for a swap.

Definitely was an interesting and challenging build, but it's probably the last ls swap I'll do for a while. I still love working on carb'd engines, but why not see what all the fuss is about firsthand?

I want to do one too. Fundage is my issue. I'm sure there's a learning curve too. I'd think they'd get easier and easier with each one you do. You just can't beat an LS swap for what you get out of it. People are paying $1599 for crate motors Heche en Mexico that's good for 150,000-200,000 miles. Or you can do an LS Swap a bit more that has 80,000-120,000 miles on it, and still get 150,000 - 200,000 more out of it. Alot more hp, better mpg, and more reliable cold starts. If it wasn't a good thing, so many people wouldn't be doing it. I've seen even many Ford Lovers putting LS engines in their rides. People are putting them in everything including Jaguars, Off-Road Jeeps etc. :shrug:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I want to do one too. Fundage is my issue. I'm sure there's a learning curve too. I'd think they'd get easier and easier with each one you do. You just can't beat an LS swap for what you get out of it. People are paying $1599 for crate motors Heche en Mexico that's good for 150,000-200,000 miles. Or you can do an LS Swap a bit more that has 80,000-120,000 miles on it, and still get 150,000 - 200,000 more out of it. Alot more hp, better mpg, and more reliable cold starts. If it wasn't a good thing, so many people wouldn't be doing it. I've seen even many Ford Lovers putting LS engines in their rides. People are putting them in everything including Jaguars, Off-Road Jeeps etc. :shrug:

I found a6.0 with a 6L80 hanging off it with 5 miles on it yes 5 miles. It came out of a 14 3/4ton van. That fell off a transport. There were 6 of them I was told. I told a friend about it and well 5k later it's a dust collector at his house.

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I found a6.0 with a 6L80 hanging off it with 5 miles on it yes 5 miles. It came out of a 14 3/4ton van. That fell off a transport. There were 6 of them I was told. I told a friend about it and well 5k later it's a dust collector at his house.

What held him up?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What held him up?

Nothing I called he said he'd take it for 5k with out seeing it. He didn't have a clue what a 6L80 was tho.lol When he saw that monster hanging off the back of that 6.0 he didn't know what to think lol.

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 TBI

I used to build sandrails with LT and then LS engines... The LS engines are sweet, no doubt about it. Bang for the buck and reliability are on their side in spades.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used to build sandrails with LT and then LS engines... The LS engines are sweet, no doubt about it. Bang for the buck and reliability are on their side in spades.

I agree, and such a small lightweight package. They'll fit in anything. But, you can't bring some old school guys into the new ways of thinking. Some people just don't like change. And some don't like or maybe it's the brain power to deal with technology and electronics.

Some people bitch about, "all those electronics"... Fact is, most of those electronics are solid state and non moving parts so they don't wear. You keep them dry, and keep your voltage regulated properly, most of the electronics aren't going to wear out. Obviously some things will but once they're set up, the hard part is done.

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I agree, and such a small lightweight package. They'll fit in anything. But, you can't bring some old school guys into the new ways of thinking. Some people just don't like change. And some don't like or maybe it's the brain power to deal with technology and electronics.

Some people bitch about, "all those electronics"... Fact is, most of those electronics are solid state and non moving parts so they don't wear. You keep them dry, and keep your voltage regulated properly, most of the electronics aren't going to wear out. Obviously some things will but once they're set up, the hard part is done.

I won't lie, I had a fearful moment when I had to hash though all these entrails. But paying due diligence and going slow made it a breeze.

The hardest part is messing around with the pcm to get it to do what you want. Lots of folks won't fork out for hptuners, but it pays for itself after you've made 3 mistakes that you can fix with a keystroke instead of shipping the computer out every time.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 146

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena