Greasy, oily dirty arse motor & trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i have not owned my 85 c20 very long and it has grease and gunk all over any suggestions on what to use to clean or just regular engine degreaser?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good ole Gunk works pretty good..

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I've had luck with Gunk degreaser. You may have to scrub some spots with a steel brush. I always wrap plastic baggies around electrical connections then tape the ends to minimize water exposure. I also dont drive the car for at least 24 hours after. I've done this on fuel injected cars with success. I would imagine you have less electrical connections but you have that big ol carb hole to cover.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
it may sound fruity, but I'd do it at a pay and spray wash. their drains at least have some sort of filtration before it goes anywhere. i don't want our bass and salmon gunk flavored just yet. I'm always leery of doing that sort of stuff at home for my downstream neighbors sake. they and their animals drink the water from the aquifer below my property and the water table is high here. when you do it, I think the can even says use minimal water necessary for the job. okay you can make fun of me now.

edit: the last engine I did this to was so dirty you couldn't really work on it. I put a sheet of poly down and scraped as much of the crud off that I could before having at it with the can of chemicals. an old worn out flathead screwdriver with rounded edges works great.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
nothing helps more than physically scraping any accumulated stuff off. after that I usually attack it with Castrol Super clean and let it sit and work for a little bit then spray it off at the car wash as others have mentioned. That is kind of a step 1 2 and 3. After that I go home and soak it down with the super clean again and let it sit for a bit and hit it with my power sprayer, but i usually find a grassy patch where I don't mind the grass looking a little worse for wear for a little while. Mine's not a beast but its got more oomph than the car wash does and does a much better job of blasting off caked on stuff. I'm at a point where I need to take my motor out and revisit the cleaning process on my transmission and transfer case so I can get them clean enough to prep for paint. Probably just going to go with a dark cast color or something simple.

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Cool I’m gonna go get some gunk I’ve already been scraping off stuff & don’t worry got southern engendered catch-all tub to protect all our lil fish friends.
#BASSLIVESMATTER
LMAO

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I swear by this stuff. You can find it at the Dollar Store.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
CRC Brake cleaner and carb cleaner work quite well and are usually way cheaper than gunk. Menard's puts both on sale quite often for 2 bucks a can and I buy a lot of it then. It evaporates pretty quickly so best to saturate a section at a time. Cover sensitive electrical and pressure wash in short bursts.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
CRC Brake cleaner and carb cleaner work quite well and are usually way cheaper than gunk. Menard's puts both on sale quite often for 2 bucks a can and I buy a lot of it then. It evaporates pretty quickly so best to saturate a section at a time. Cover sensitive electrical and pressure wash in short bursts.
Gotta love Menards. They have CRC brake clean and Sta-Bil carb cleaner on sale for $2.49 this week, plus an 11% rebate.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I worry about hard chemicals like Brakclean and Carb Cleaner damaging composites, but my worries aren’t founded in any proof. I like Krud Kutter and a pressure washer, which you can find in the paint/hardware section at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. They also have a line of automotive products. I believe it’s water based and biodegradable to answer the concerns of @Frankenchevy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128