Got my drums unstuck, now what??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My shoes had seized to the drum from sitting, I got them unstuck, but now what?

I'm not ready to rebuild them or disc swap it, but I need to be able to move it around. So if I just put them back on, how do I stop them from seizing again? Or should I just take the shoes out?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Are they adjusted too tight in addition to having sat too long? You could back the star adjuster out just a hair on both sides (evenly) and clean them up with some one dollar brake cleaner from Walmart.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My shoes had seized to the drum from sitting, I got them unstuck, but now what?

I'm not ready to rebuild them or disc swap it, but I need to be able to move it around. So if I just put them back on, how do I stop them from seizing again? Or should I just take the shoes out?

Just back the adjusters off.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Are they adjusted too tight in addition to having sat too long? You could back the star adjuster out just a hair on both sides (evenly) and clean them up with some one dollar brake cleaner from Walmart.
They may have been, I don't know. I basically bought the thing, drove it home, then it sat for two years lol. They seemed fine before, I drove it from Arkansas to Michigan lol.

My plan was to just adjust them looser for the time being, thanks guys.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
They may have been, I don't know. I basically bought the thing, drove it home, then it sat for two years lol. They seemed fine before, I drove it from Arkansas to Michigan lol.

My plan was to just adjust them looser for the time being, thanks guys.

They most likely seized due to rust forming on the insides of the drums. As it "bloomed", the clearance between the drum ID and shoe surfaces began to decrease. At some point, it made contact with the shoes. Soon after that, because it was exerting pressure on them, the rust oxide was forced into - and eventually bonded with - the shoe's friction material.

No need to adjust the clearance (or remove the shoes). If you drove all the way from AR to MI without any issues...you can rest assured that there is nothing wrong with your front brakes. Just drive it around once in a while and apply the brakes hard. That will clean the rust from the drum ID's - before it gets to the point where it bonds with the asbestos linings.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah they were stuck for awhile, I went to move it last fall and it took a bunch of revving and pissing off the neighbors to get it done. I guess they finalized their home over the winter lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes