Got a weird idea for a truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue79

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ahh I got it, maybe if there was enough of the ends left you could weld them to the bed left over and put the tailgate on…make like a bedlet you could put a fuel tank or toolbox or something in…..I dunno it might look weird though
Yeah that’s what I was thinking after to might be hard to do but a little better looking then just a plate or wood holding the bed sides together but still I bit weird

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haha yeah transitioning it would definitely look better but it’s super rusted out around the wheel wells and behind but maybe haha
Just get rid of it and roll the can chassis… They do easy burnouts like that

mydads84

Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi so my trucks box is pretty much junk it’s a wood floor that’s pretty much gone one bolt came loose on a bump and the rust has gotten to it pretty good. I was thinking to flat bed it but then I got a idea that would be like the best of both a box and flat bed almost it might look a bit weird but not sure would like a few more opinions on it you would cut the bed just before the wheel well and everything after that would be flat bed but In front of that it would still be truck box in the picture everything in white is flat bed and the red line where you cut it. Just not sure about it before I really commit to it
I like your first rendition but I'm thinking cut it back a little farther, to about the width of a regular truck bed tool box. Then take the tailgate and about 6 inches of the end of the bed sides with the tailights and close in the "back side". In other words, cut out the middle section of the bed and move the back to the front. Basically performing the same process as when converting a long bed to a short bed. After that, fabricate some kind of "lid" for the now enclosed area. By cutting it shorter you would also have more flatbed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So your bed is a fleetside bed with a wood floor? Those are rare. It may be wise to evaluate how many of the parts are still serviceable or repairable before cutting it up.

randle

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15 fleetside
Engine Size
Hi so my trucks box is pretty much junk it’s a wood floor that’s pretty much gone one bolt came loose on a bump and the rust has gotten to it pretty good. I was thinking to flat bed it but then I got a idea that would be like the best of both a box and flat bed almost it might look a bit weird but not sure would like a few more opinions on it you would cut the bed just before the wheel well and everything after that would be flat bed but In front of that it would still be truck box in the picture everything in white is flat bed and the red line where you cut it. Just not sure about it before I really commit to it
How are the angle strips in the box? I am restoring a 74 c15 fleet side, and can’t find the angle strips.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
What's your reason for wanting some bed, but not as much? I'd think that a large toolbox would give you the same capability as a midget bed, then a flatbed after that. Or maybe more Aussie style (or Home Depot Rental style) with a flatbed that has flip-down sides?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Please do not cut up that bed...I was told only 3000 were made from 73-79. I'd be interested in any useable pieces and it appears others might be as well.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How are the angle strips in the box? I am restoring a 74 c15 fleet side, and can’t find the angle strips.
Angle strips? Angle strips are only on stepsides. The wood fleetside has a wide flange all the way around that holds the wood floor.

You must be registered for see images attach

randle

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15 fleetside
Engine Size
Angle strips? Angle strips are only on stepsides. The wood fleetside has a wide flange all the way around that holds the wood floor.

Yes, I am looking for that flange. I wasn’t sure of the name, and I just noticed they refer to it as angle strips for the step side.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

That bed looks awesome. The fender flanges are way different/smaller than the older versions.

1976dully

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Then there is this

Attachments

• images (27).jpeg
    images (27).jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 24

Hogger

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love it! Kinda reminds me of the butcher that backed into the meat grinder....got a little behind in his work.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, I am looking for that flange. I wasn’t sure of the name, and I just noticed they refer to it as angle strips for the step side.
Do you need all nine of them or just a few pieces? A fabrication shop would probably be about $200 each and unfortunately all 9 are different. I was able to repair ours with the scraps from cutting down from longbed to shortbed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef