got a square body!!!!!!!! s10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I used to have them like that, gonna have togo back and do it again.

Yea the k10 had 4 inch lift, I pu ton 6 and 3, but paint is not good, it's flaking off and the bed is lumpy so it's a total rebuild like always. It'll get done I just don't want 2 or 3 projects going at once all apart and not done or moveable.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Paint looks great, Chris! I didn't know you could paint, might have to pick your brain about a paint job. I'm thinking forest green metallic on the camo truck. But you can't do metallic paints as single stage can you? The summit paint kits look like the slick ticket. BTW I really like the back wheels on that truck. They look really good on it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you sure can Curt, it's just if you want to wet sand and buff it you get into your metallics and it can be left zebra striped or streaks in it.

I've done paint work on and off for years, I've painted almost everything Ive had, old silver camaro dad's 92 s10 my monte carlo his 84 c10 I did twice and now this one

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I must say, that's a damn fine S10 you have built for yourself! Make sure you show that sucker off whenever you can :)

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
will do hoping to start driving it here soon then maybe hit shows with it

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
finally got this thing out yesterday to shake it down definately has some issues to address the front tires do scrub bad. They will scrub in turns and they will scrub in bad bumps pass. side worse then driver's side. All the guys on s10 pages and fb having theirs lower then mine saying it don't scrub ever are full of it. If not they must drive 10 mph on flat roads with no turns or bumps.

Trucks got a miss or bad vibration driving. It kind of shakes bad, and it's basically at all speeds. I know the driveshaft was cut down and supposed to have balanced, but maybe they did not. I also know the tires aren't balanced I never had it done. I went to the old man's house and he put it in park and barely gave it gas and it'd shake badly. Meaning to me the shake was in the engine itself. Motor and trans sat in that camaro since 93 only ran who knows when, I need to swap distributors and see if that helps, plugs were new but alot of idle and rev time, no driving, they need changed, also wires are new I made myself, may need to get a pre fabb'd set and try just to eliminate any questions or try and knock it ou tone by one.

The radiator cap tee I put in the upper radiator hose the cap leaks, it's a new cap and new tee but it leaks, going to try another cap.

All in all it did ok, needs to have all the lil things tweaked and checked, all the ignition things plus tweak the edelbrock carb. there's a good bit of heat pouring into the cab while moving, need to find that, it's mostly pass. side, might need to just put some spray insulation or something in there or maybe wrap the headers.

The speedo cable snapped, or something stopped working 1 miles into the test ride LOL.

So back in the garage she went until I can raise the front and tune it up some. If I have to change the distributor due to corrosionage I think I'll do an intake swap, right now it has the stock cast iron gm quadrajet intake on it, and a spreadbore to squarebore adapter. I have an edelbrock performer intake I got from bucket I can run and another distributor, I'd just be out a set of intake gaskets which I may have I'm not sure.

I tweaked the IMS a lil at the old man's once it was warm and trying to turn around it died everytime going into reverse then once it got home it didn't LOL.

Se did lay rubber, but nowhere near like it should with a v8 in a light truck, 4.10 gears with 25.5 tall tires, th350 with a stage 2 shift kit, it didn't even bark em changing gears, but it wants to shift too soon anyways. I'll have to work on that. Plus my homemade linkage for the column shifter isn't right, I've got a floor shifter to put in, and looks like I'm going to need to.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Kinda disheartening first time out with thing after a long build the anticipation builds so high and well kinda sucks a bit then you tinker and get it all sorted out and happiness ensues.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I know typical build those always bugs and gremlins.

Looks like the speedo cable broke up at the gauge or in it, of course making it alot harder for me to fix it.

The vibrations I beleive now is one of 2 things, either driveshaft needing balanced or just the fact that the cab is resting on the bellhousing transferring all vibrations right into the cab. I'm leaning towards that because I know it's sitting on there or at least hitting/touching in a couple spots.

The fix is going to be tough either pull motor and trans or trans only MAYBE, beat pinch weld back and redo, or maybe I can cheat and shim it all up 1/4 inch of so.

At this point if it didn't mess up the front bumper I'd do a 1 inch body lift LOL solve my fender issues at the same time.

Plugs are all clean very nice shape so all of them must be firing good to be clean. I went over the fan the balancer all that thinking something was loose or missing a washer throwing the balance off, but nothing.

The vibrations you can feel in park with rev's up to around 2-3k rpms more so when in gear on stands or driving same rpms, the more rpms the more vibrations when driving and with 4.10's out back 3-4k is very common LOL

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
For the bad vibes, check the balancer in case someone put a jack under it. It could also be the torque converter. If the fluid was ever dark it could have clutch material inside it settled in one spot and throwing it out of balance. It's definitely not the driveshaft if it did it parked.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I raised the cab up off the frame some to give it more clearance it helped a lil, it does it in park, not as bad as in drive though drive is terrible around 2500-3k rpms. I checked the timing as far as vac. adv. swapped sides from ported to full vac. unhooked completely.

No change, better idle in park on full vacuum nothing more really.

The front pulley bolts were not torqued down good enough, they were snug but had came loose I snugged them, still no change. I was thinking balancer right off and then thought the torque converter, going to check it's bolts tomorrow because when you run it on stands, in drive and let it run up to say 30 or whatever mph, when you left off the gas, let it lower rpms to idle then brake, it will clunk and after everything has pretty much stopped moving so I'm thinking the converter bolts maybe loose.

If that fails I'm going to try other wires and maybe other dist. parts. I can notice when it's in park at like 2500-300 it'll have like lil pops out the exhaust, like it's trying to miss. I know I need to tune the carb too

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
vibration is in the motor itself my guess is fuel or spark related miss.

I removed driveshaft, tried it, same thing. I unhooked the converter from the flexplate, same thing, the motor actually wanted to miss worse with the converter unhooked, it started to stumble around 1500-2k the tach flickered up and down some.

Now I have to put back on everything I took offf and start changing wires, cap rotor etc see what happenes, going to swap the hei module as well and if they fails maybe change the distributor. First I'll tune the cab for max vacuum and see where that gets me

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Compression test? I chased a problem like that for a long time until a friend noticed one side of the exhaust had more condensation. A compression test indicated a weak cylinder due to a valve adjustment that was too tight.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
haven't done one hoping it's nothing like that because if so it's all coming apart I'll build another for it instead of using this one

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
haven't done one hoping it's nothing like that because if so it's all coming apart I'll build another for it instead of using this one

I know, Al I had to do was readjust the valves. I was just spit balling ideas.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know, Al I had to do was readjust the valves. I was just spit balling ideas.

that would be fine with me lol I had the valve covers off anyways, and before putting it in the truck I had th epan off to replace the rear main seal that was leaking, the oil pan gaskets and the front seal, timing cover as well as the timing set and oil pump.

I've got a 305 and 2 350's torn down ready for rebuild and I've got almost everything to rebuil done 350 just need a cam for it. So if I have to yank heads or something I may just yank the whole thing and build one with a bumpy cam in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey