got a 1990 k1500 in the yard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So I'm working out a deal with my father in law on his old work truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 90 Silverado with power windows, locks, TBI 350, 700r4 trans and 4x4. It's got 282k on it, but I couldn't pass it up. He told me to get it running and usable, he would buy the parts. And we would share it until he found another truck. At that point he will sign the title over to me free and clear. It's been neglected more so than abused, and it smokes like a freight train. But it's going to be free other than my time. So far I put new pins in the driver side door that was sagging so bad it wouldn't even latch any more, I've put a junkyard door panel on because the old one had been torn off. Put new bulbs in the headlights because only one high beam bulb was working. And I bought a new ignition lock cylinder because right now you don't even need a key to start it. It needs brakes, tires and a windshield to be driveable, and a whole list of things need attention. Four wheel drive doesn't seem to work, probably the actuator on the front axle. It's a common issue with these trucks. Needs some shocks bad. Probably needs idler and pitman arms, radiator flush etc. Body is a little beat, but the only rust is the driver side cab corner. Other than that it's solid. It'll be a nice little project. And will fill the gap nicely while I park my 78 for body work this summer. I hope lol. Oh and the best part is the whole reason it quit on him in the first place was a loose starter wire. He has no mechanical knowledge what so ever, so after having it break down a couple times he got frustrated and parked it.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sounds like a great deal on your end. It also sounds like the rings are toast on the motor, and it needs a rebuild, but you shouldn't even be putting that much in it then even in addition to what you want to get done to it.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yea rings are done. But believe it or not it actually still runs really strong. Had a miss at idle when I brought it home so I sprayed down all the throttle body components with some cleaner I had. Idles much better now.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Got the ignition lock cylinder in. If you ever have to do one, do yourself a favor and buy the correct tool. I managed to get it off with a flat washer and 2 sockets, but after fighting for an hour to get it back on I broke down and spent the $14 on the right tool. Had it back on in 5 min. Had an old tool box for a step side in my dad's horse barn so I got it out and put on. I'm buying my eagle alloy 058 wheels back from my cousin and that's probably all I will do appearance wise. Maybe some of those chrome tubular bed rails behind the tool box. At one time I had nerf bars, a bed liner and a winch mount brush guard to fit this truck but of course I got rid of it all. Just my luck. Anyway you can see the body work needed in these pics. Drivers door and fender will probably just be replaced instead of fixed because these things are all over Craigslist being parted out. The only thing I'm worried about is the bed got tagged behind the passenger tire so it will need some attention. Since the bed sides are fiberglass I don't know what I'll do about that. If I find a good deal on a fleet side bed I'll probably just swap it out. And I'll have to fix the big crease in the passenger door. The interior is all there, just nasty. I plan to pull the carpet and pressure wash it. It might not help much but it sure won't hurt it. Glove box door hinges are broken and the radio face is smashed from them sliding boards through the rear window. Thats how the windshield got busted. But that's minor setbacks.

You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
well my phone decided not to cooperate. Will get the correct pics posted soon.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Trying to get motivated to start on this truck again. Been fighting anxiety and depression, hopefully this will give me something to focus on. Need some advice, would you guys hesitate to tackle a head gasket repair on this truck? I’ve never done anything that involved, but the way the truck is running and smoking, plus the gunk in the radiator, I feel like the head gasket is toast. Thoughts?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Been there, done that. The best medicine is to focus on stuff like you’re trying to do and stay away from the medicine. I don’t think psychopharmacology has gotten to the point where it can effectively help everyone. Anyways, what color is the smoke? If it’s blue, it’s gonna be oil. If it’s white, it’s something coolant related, but it could be the intake manifold gasket acting up, too. Probably a head gasket if it’s a lot of smoke, and you’ve got milky stuff in the oil or radiator. Plus, you’ll have to do the intake gaskets if you replace the head gaskets. It’s really not a bad job, especially on a TBI that doesn’t have a bunch of junk on the intake. You should do the combustion gas test on the radiator. They loan the kit at Autozone, and you buy the little bottle of test fluid. Easy peasy.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Changing head gaskets of an SBC is straightforward and simple. It may very well help reduce stress and relieve anxiety.

I have found that turning wrenches is THE "great escape". A man and his truck, in his man-garage with his man-tools and his man-music. I invite my man-dog and make man-coffee!

It's all very methodical.
Preparing the space
Arranging the contents
Cleaning the surfaces
Smelling the smells...
Listening to the rhymthic click-clack of the ratchet, play with all the shiny tools...

Accomplish something of benefit to all involved. They WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT. Being -as the mechanic - allows for a great deal of control. He that FIXES is he of great power.
He is revered as sage and admired by everyone because HE ADMONISHES.
Hold the rule of YOUR LAW in your hands , but don't put it back in the drawer dirty so it's bling bling shiny EVERYTIME you open it.

I find the entire process terribly rewarding. Even the shower afterwards can have deep sacred meaning. To actually be able to watch your troubles be swept down the drain makes a man FEEL happy. Makes him feel like a MAN. Men FIX.

And the next thing you know? HOURS have passed in the seeming blink of an eye and the only want that remains is MORE.

Don't wonder, man. Know - and find out. I never ever clean up the space after a successful repair. I spread that fun around for other days! As you walk through it later, you can imagine it as a vacant battleground or evidence found at a deserted crime scene. I like to leave the stuff layin around...maybe it's just me!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Trying to get motivated to start on this truck again. Been fighting anxiety and depression, hopefully this will give me something to focus on. Need some advice, would you guys hesitate to tackle a head gasket repair on this truck? I’ve never done anything that involved, but the way the truck is running and smoking, plus the gunk in the radiator, I feel like the head gasket is toast. Thoughts?

Sounds like you have what you need to help you get over the hump. A needy vehicle! Approach the job methodically and I find you will really enjoy it. Take pics, take your time, dont rush, walk away when you get pissed. As mentioned by Rusty, play some music and zone into the job. I think thatll be your best drug.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Life is short and full of obstacles and bumps in the road. Don’t forget the important stuff. Give the wife a hug and a kiss everyday and make sure she knows how important she is, kids too if you have any. Perform an act of kindness to another when you have the chance. Don’t put undo stress on yourself over the truck, it’s not going anywhere. If you find working on a vehicle enjoyable, by all means jump right in, just don’t put unrealistic goals on progress.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) sometimes I need to do more of this myself, over thinking things and stressing over them take all the fun out of it. It is also why I like re-purposing old computers, they dont cost me anything and gives me a different project to tinker with when the weather is **** or I am waiting on funds for parts. Find your other project when you get stressed, could be something like whittling wood figures for the wife to sell at a craft fair.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Life is short and full of obstacles and bumps in the road. Don’t forget the important stuff. Give the wife a hug and a kiss everyday and make sure she knows how important she is, kids too if you have any. Perform an act of kindness to another when you have the chance. Don’t put undo stress on yourself over the truck, it’s not going anywhere. If you find working on a vehicle enjoyable, by all means jump right in, just don’t put unrealistic goals on progress.

Yea I’ve not done a good job of doing that with my wife either. I’ve really failed her in that. I’ve done better with my done but still not great. That’s the worst part about all this is the way it affects the time spent with your family.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Keep your chin up ole buddy, there's brighter days ahead!

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I’ve not done a good job of doing that with my wife either. I’ve really failed her in that. I’ve done better with my done but still not great. That’s the worst part about all this is the way it affects the time spent with your family.

Well heck then, kiss her once for me!:console:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkorich