Good Highway Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
So I'm going to be buying tires at some point for my truck. I have never had a new set of tires so I figured I'd try and get opinions from you guys. I tried searching threads but it all seemed to be all terrain oriented or offroad stuff.

I want to run 235 85 r16s, seems to be somewhat fewer options for this size. These tires will spend nearly all their time on the highway, and what little dirt they'll see I've driven on with bald tires almost all my driving life, so no concerns there. Also they won't be used in the winter. I'm a "spirited" driver, lead foot runs in the family. I've personally had good experience with Les Schwab and they seem to be everywhere so I'm leaning toward them abit, but I'm open to other options too. Oh and they'd be on a c20.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
TireRack.com is what I use to check reviews. It can be hit or miss if it's a new offering, but I would think in that size tire there should be plenty of options to look at. It will typically give the type of vehicle the customer put them on, and how long they've driven on them.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The Michelin LTX are still one of the best, if not the best.
Bridgestones are also at the top for long lasting and good manners.
Today I saw Goodyear makes a commercial service highway tire called the G647 or G687. Straight highway tread like a steer tire for semis.
There are lots of opinions and few scientific facts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The Firestone Transforce tires are good too.

The cheaper bargain tires tend to be less stable at speeds over 50, probably due to weaker sidewalls. An 85 series tire needs a good strong sidewall.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh wait, I meant Boggers!!!

Reactions: vkh

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I went with Uniroyal Laredos for my first set of new tires. I like them, and they make them in the size you want. Check around at the prices, but Walmart will ship them to the store for free.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
check walmart for prices and reviews (good cuz there's normally a lot of reviews there). Then check your local dealers and online, for whatever tire you pic, for a cheaper price if possible.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So I'm going to be buying tires at some point for my truck. I have never had a new set of tires so I figured I'd try and get opinions from you guys. I tried searching threads but it all seemed to be all terrain oriented or offroad stuff.

I want to run 235 85 r16s, seems to be somewhat fewer options for this size. These tires will spend nearly all their time on the highway, and what little dirt they'll see I've driven on with bald tires almost all my driving life, so no concerns there. Also they won't be used in the winter. I'm a "spirited" driver, lead foot runs in the family. I've personally had good experience with Les Schwab and they seem to be everywhere so I'm leaning toward them abit, but I'm open to other options too. Oh and they'd be on a c20.
Firestone Transforce H/T's without a doubt. You can run them at 50 psi for a bit softer ride(if you're running load E, 10 plys).Buy the lifetime alignment, and get it set every 5k when you rotate them, and it's all free. Nail a curb? Go get a free alignment at any store nationwide. Replace some parts- go get it aligned. Do that, and you'll get 100-120K miles out of them. (Do not buy Bridgestone H/L Alenza's... NO!)

I've got nothing against Schwabs. Whose gonna fix your tire for free, if you go east of the Rockies and get a flat? Rotate them for free? Michelin LTX's are a great tire. Better than the H/L Alenza's IMO. Are you gonna be worried about road noise, and a soft ride? Then go LTX. Or, do you want a tire that will carry some massive weight like a big truck, and will last forever? A work tire- get the Transforce H/T.

Edit: BTW- some of the Alenza's have a 80k warranty on them. You'll get 60K if you're lucky, and then they will get prorated towards your next set.....

What was the OE size and load rating that came on yours? (Drivers door)

(And PM me if you decide to go Bridgestone/Firestone. I can give you some tips on how to save some big bucks on all that....)

Last edited:

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Firestone Transforce H/T's without a doubt. You can run them at 50 psi for a bit softer ride(if you're running load E, 10 plys).Buy the lifetime alignment, and get it set every 5k when you rotate them, and it's all free. Nail a curb? Go get a free alignment at any store nationwide. Replace some parts- go get it aligned. Do that, and you'll get 100-120K miles out of them. (Do not buy Bridgestone H/L Alenza's... NO!)

I've got nothing against Schwabs. Whose gonna fix your tire for free, if you go east of the Rockies and get a flat? Rotate them for free? Michelin LTX's are a great tire. Better than the H/L Alenza's IMO. Are you gonna be worried about road noise, and a soft ride? Then go LTX. Or, do you want a tire that will carry some massive weight like a big truck, and will last forever? A work tire- get the Transforce H/T.

Edit: BTW- some of the Alenza's have a 80k warranty on them. You'll get 60K if you're lucky, and then they will get prorated towards your next set.....

What was the OE size and load rating that came on yours? (Drivers door)

(And PM me if you decide to go Bridgestone/Firestone. I can give you some tips on how to save some big bucks on all that....)

Thanks, I think you've talked me into them. My truck has the trailering special and I've replaced all the bushings with polyurethane so a soft ride is long out the door. Now it was you who worked for Firestone for awhile wasn't it? Always glad to get the opinion of someone who has the inside scoop.

I actually had no idea les schwab was a western thing. I've got an internship in Chicago this summer so thanks for letting me know, half of why I was leaning toward them was I thought they were everywhere.

Originally my truck had 9.50 16.5 tires. GVWR of 8600. I'm changing to 16" rims and I'm not concerned about matching tire sizes, I've already changed gearing.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the responses. Definitely helped a lot. Sounds like Transforce H/Ts or LTXs are the way to go.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks, I think you've talked me into them. My truck has the trailering special and I've replaced all the bushings with polyurethane so a soft ride is long out the door. Now it was you who worked for Firestone for awhile wasn't it? Always glad to get the opinion of someone who has the inside scoop.

I actually had no idea les schwab was a western thing. I've got an internship in Chicago this summer so thanks for letting me know, half of why I was leaning toward them was I thought they were everywhere.

Originally my truck had 9.50 16.5 tires. GVWR of 8600. I'm changing to 16" rims and I'm not concerned about matching tire sizes, I've already changed gearing.
Yeah, but I'm not connected to them in any way now. Anything I have to say about them is just from my past experience, and is just IMHO.

The 235's will work great as a replacement size. I asked about the GVWR just to make sure the tires would support it. Gotta double check anytime you change up rim/tire sizes like that. They're rated at 3,042 lbs each, so you're fine....

The Transforce have a 30 day Buy & Try. Put them on, and take a cross country road trip. If you don't like them, you can get a full refund, or try something different.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The Michelin LTX are still one of the best, if not the best.
Bridgestones are also at the top for long lasting and good manners.
Today I saw Goodyear makes a commercial service highway tire called the G647 or G687. Straight highway tread like a steer tire for semis.
There are lots of opinions and few scientific facts.
the Michelin ltx were on my truck when i got it was a great tire altho they only lasted 1 week after i got the truck but hell it was a great smoke show on the last day i had them (it was a 64 second burn out the tire had over 40k on them and showed minimal wear.) now i have at tires on my truck

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Yeah, but I'm not connected to them in any way now. Anything I have to say about them is just from my past experience, and is just IMHO.

The 235's will work great as a replacement size. I asked about the GVWR just to make sure the tires would support it. Gotta double check anytime you change up rim/tire sizes like that. They're rated at 3,042 lbs each, so you're fine....

The Transforce have a 30 day Buy & Try. Put them on, and take a cross country road trip. If you don't like them, you can get a full refund, or try something different.

Even if you were working for them currently I'd still listen and consider. Less you're job was entirely promoting on social media and such I don't see any benefit coming to you by recommending internet strangers tires when they aren't even in the same state.

Glad for the verification.

Sounds good, can't be worse than what I've run in the past, lol. Thanks for the input.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the responses. Definitely helped a lot. Sounds like Transforce H/Ts or LTXs are the way to go.
Excellent choice! I run the TransForce and as dougnsalem pointed out, nationwide, Firestone will provide free everything concerning their tires! That is a major plus on top of being a good tire in my book anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k