Good headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So, is there a big difference when adding the relay kit using sealed beams? I drove from Ponca City, OK to Derby, KS in the middle of the night and my low beams do not illuminate enough. To me, my high beams are about as bright as modern low beams. Heck, when I'm driving in town, the street lamps over power my headlights!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Depends on state of your existing wiring. There was almost no difference on mine, but it has been reported to be a good mod.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It all comes down to voltage and light (lumens) output. Nobody ever seems to offer actual numbers but on average I see a minimum of a 1V increase up to 1.6V in some cases. This translates to about a 15-18% increase in light output.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
4WDKC I had seen those lights on eBay, but I read some of the reviews though other sites that said the glass is thinner and as a result were somewhat loose in the housing. I went with the Hella conversion lights. I had them on my '79 before. I've only received the high beams so far. I should get the low beams today. I can say that they are a nice quality and fit tightly in the factory housings. I too have already purchased a relay kit with porcelain headlight connectors to deal with the higher wattage bulbs.

I was rushed and couldn't find the link for the ones I was planning so i just grabbed one. Definitely use a quality headlight, I had no idea the LMC kit wasn't a quality kit, guess i should have realized that when it wasn't fused.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
x2 on the Hella sealed relays. highdesertranger

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
Originally, I went with a set of H4 conversion housings to replace the old sealed beams. That alone did wonders even with the cheap blue bulbs.

Threw on a relay kit and that helped out a little bit more.

Eventually wanted a little bit more, threw in a set of HIDs. 55w, 6k bulbs. The higher wattage ballasts wash out the blue and turned it almost a pure white with a touch of blue.

Ran that for a while, worked amazing, but produced a ton of glare that would blind other drivers.... to the point that my buddies refused to drive ahead of me since they were so bright and lit up all their mirrors and entire cab.

So, got tired of that and went to retrofitted projectors in the conversion housings. All the benefits of HIDs with control over the output and reduction in glare!
Part numbers/links on the projectors and housings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
No mention of LEDs?
About every the price comes down and more arrive on the scene. Just a matter of us finding the good ones. Bright as we ever need and low voltage so don't worry about relays and heavy wire.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
No mention of LEDs?
About every the price comes down and more arrive on the scene. Just a matter of us finding the good ones. Bright as we ever need and low voltage so don't worry about relays and heavy wire.
If like to see some recommendations on LED as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'm guessing he means they don't get or stay warm enough to melt the snow off that sticks to them at speed.
The wet **** we get in the fall does this anyway, regardless of the headlights.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Part numbers/links on the projectors and housings?

I used a pair of FXR 3.0 Projectors from The Retrofit Source. I went through a couple pairs of headlight housings since I cracked a couple of the glass lenses when baking them apart. It was from the sealant not being soft enough to separate the housing from the lens. I would also recommend using a much smaller projector for our trucks. It was pretty hard to fit the FX-R's in there. As well as I had to move the batteries about 2-2.5" away from the core support since the projectors stick out so far back.

Parts:
FX-R 3.0 Projectors (3.0" Lens/LHD)
55w D2S Morimoto XB Ballasts
MotoControl Bi-Xenon: H4/9003
6000K D2S Bulbs
OCI Butyl Rubber Sealant
7" Universal H4 Conversion Headlights
Aluminum Ducting Tape

I also purchased, but ultimately didnt use:

Apollo 2.0 Full Circle Shrouds
110mm Amber Halos

It cost ~$350 all said and done.

Here's some photos of the before & after:

Headlight pattern with the H4 Conversion headlights and the cheap china headlight bulbs:

You must be registered for see images attach

After the headlights were installed:

Shows how far the battery had to be moved back to accommodate the large projector:

I've got a headlight pattern of the retrofits around here somewhere. just gotta find them.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Found some shots of the projectors output.

3 shots are low beams, one is the high.

If i remember correctly, that's virtually the output of one since the other is so far off to the side and they hadn't been adjusted for their spread and height yet. beam.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Cool guys, just found out I have blown head gasket :bawl: but my mechanic gave me a awesome deal on the repair cost $200 all said and done and he has taken a liking to me and said I could be there to help.:cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969