Going from auto to manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm deciding the direction I was to take my 86 and just wondered how difficult/possible and what all would be involved to switch from the power windows etc to manual roll ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It should be as simple as pulling the motor, regulator, and associated wiring and installing a manual regulator and window crank. The hole is in the same place, but I don't know how clean it'll look. Maybe you can paint a plastic washer to match your door if any of the window switch hole is left or swap door panels if you want to go all out. The best way would be to get all the guts out of one truck.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What's wrong with the power windows. They act complicated but they really aren't. I just overhauled mine to great success. They are double the speed and much quieter operating. In factory configuration they are slow and tend to over heat the motors. @gmachinz makes a badass set up or you could wire in relays to make them operate better. There are a **** ton of GM vehicles to get motors from.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree. I can understand the appeal of manual locks in a standard cab or Blazer, but the power windows work well if everything is in ship shape. My Jimmy windows are like lightning.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's more a thematic direction of the build. Going kind of the shop truck, slightly above rat rod kind of thing. I already need new glass and interior panels. Honestly I need a new wiring harness for the whole truck. I have quite a few electrical gremlins thanks to the previous owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, preference is about the one thing you can't argue with when it comes to a man/woman and their truck.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Think i would be tempted to find regular doors and swap them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat