GMC K-1500 has blow by.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarterDawson

Reaction score
First Name
Carter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
Hey, my 81 GMC K-1500 has blow by. It’s got a 305 in it. Is there anyway I can make it better without taking the engine apart? I’m trying to flip it to make money on it. I got about 6k into it. Hoping to sell it for 9. I have it listed on marketplace rn. Is this fair?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Eh, not likely IMo. Blowby is typically the rings. Unless it’s just got a sticky ring from sitting a long time and/or lack of oil changes. In which case you might be able to free it up with one of the available stiction eliminators.
$9k is optimistic IMO, but you don’t know unless you try I suppose.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Don't scam someone
Hey, my 81 GMC K-1500 has blow by. It’s got a 305 in it. Is there anyway I can make it better without taking the engine apart? I’m trying to flip it to make money on it. I got about 6k into it. Hoping to sell it for 9. I have it listed on marketplace rn. Is this fair?

Theres no way without taking it apart. If your lucky valve stem seals, but I've seen very few tired engines that don't need valve guides. Unless it's been sitting 20 years, you don't have stuck rings. The snake oils won't fix it.

Not to be a dick but don't scam someone. Plz and thank you.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Run heavier oil if not already done so. And add in that stuff that's called "engine restore" lol, it's helped me. But it's only a band-aid and no guarantees.

CarterDawson

Reaction score
First Name
Carter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
Eh, not likely IMo. Blowby is typically the rings. Unless it’s just got a sticky ring from sitting a long time and/or lack of oil changes. In which case you might be able to free it up with one of the available stiction eliminators.
$9k is optimistic IMO, but you don’t know unless you try I suppose.

Don't scam someone

Theres no way without taking it apart. If your lucky valve stem seals, but I've seen very few tired engines that don't need valve guides. Unless it's been sitting 20 years, you don't have stuck rings. The snake oils won't fix it.

Not to be a dick but don't scam someone. Plz and thank you.

Tell em its a 305. They'll understand.
Ok. Thanks. I told the guy that’s gonna be looking at it. He didn’t seem to care. So hopefully it works out. I’m hoping it’s just valve seals, the only spots the blow by comes from us the passenger side valve cover. So far we are at 8k. It’s not a lot of blow by. Just a little. Most of the people I’ve showed it to wanted to put a 350 in it anyways. This guy may be no different.

CarterDawson

Reaction score
First Name
Carter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
I
Run heavier oil if not already done so. And add in that stuff that's called "engine restore" lol, it's helped me. But it's only a band-aid and no guarantees.
I’m running 5w-30. What should I put in. Sorry if I sound stupid. I’m 16 learning as I go here.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Not 5w30 in anything pushrod in my opinion. 10/30 or 15/40 is what I use mostly, sometimes 20/50. I used to change oil regularly on a 78 suburban with a worn 454 and always put 20/50 in that one.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I

I’m running 5w-30. What should I put in. Sorry if I sound stupid. I’m 16 learning as I go here.
It's great that your 16 and getting into a respectable hobby where you can use the hands and brain God gave you. I applaud you. Don't worry about sounding stupid, many of us on here, including myself, are 2-3 times your age and we still sound stupid. It makes life interesting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69