GMC bringing back the Desert Fox package...But...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Even down to the '77 only yellow stripe in the body side molding!

You must be registered for see images attach

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
damn that's cool. I wanna see a Gentleman JIM Denali

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Personally, I think the latest generation of trucks is built very well, and good looking too. Although I must say I'm not a fan of the bug-eyed GMC front end. If I could afford it, I'd buy one too (a Chevy that is). Although after pricing them, ain't no way in hell I'd buy a 1/2 ton truck. For literally just a couple grand more, you can get a 2500 and have trouble-free towing abilities.
I respectfully disagree with everything you just said. First of all, and I don;t know what your criteria of 'built well' is, but to me nothing that is difficult to work on is 'built well'. Nothing that works trouble free for just a few years is 'built well'. ANd when these new trucks begin to nickle and dime the owners, well it won't be nickle and dime it will be $100 and $1000 issues. And the body style/looks... ok this is subjective and I think all the crap looks the same and is overly bulky looking... like supersized hamburgers.
In order to design more aerodynamic cabs (to save fuel...?! ha doesn't work anyway work? they pushed the windshield way forward and the whole mess makes for terrible ergonomics of you are less than 6 feet tall. I can't see **** from the drivers position in anything made the last 20 years.
Trouble free towing from the 3/5 ton...? There is nothing trouble free on any new vehicles after a year or two, of normal use much less work these trucks and be prepared to spend big $ on 'regular' maintenance and again... sky high labor costs because they are not user friendly to repair.
If you have an electrical issue behind the dash, even on warranty you better brace for impact. The labor costs will be sky high and after the job is done your dash will never be the same. All plastic designed to be assembled quick and nasty cheap by robotics... you have to break **** taking them apart.
Sorry I've said enough. I hate all the new junk out there. They use emotion to sell the scrap. In Canada a new 1 ton loaded 4x4 is over $80K.
IMO 40K is WAY too much for even a good truck, which doesn't exist anyway.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Even down to the '77 only yellow stripe in the body side molding!

The beast and the beauty...
Hey Greg what is the O.D.of your old school 'roll bar'... is that around 3". I'm just trying to decide what size of tubing to use on a project. Thanks

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
The beast and the beauty...
Hey Greg what is the O.D.of your old school 'roll bar'... is that around 3". I'm just trying to decide what size of tubing to use on a project. Thanks

Yes, it's three inch tubing. This one is a Smittybilt

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I respectfully disagree with everything you just said. First of all, and I don;t know what your criteria of 'built well' is, but to me nothing that is difficult to work on is 'built well'. Nothing that works trouble free for just a few years is 'built well'. ANd when these new trucks begin to nickle and dime the owners, well it won't be nickle and dime it will be $100 and $1000 issues. And the body style/looks... ok this is subjective and I think all the crap looks the same and is overly bulky looking... like supersized hamburgers.
In order to design more aerodynamic cabs (to save fuel...?! ha doesn't work anyway work? they pushed the windshield way forward and the whole mess makes for terrible ergonomics of you are less than 6 feet tall. I can't see **** from the drivers position in anything made the last 20 years.
Trouble free towing from the 3/5 ton...? There is nothing trouble free on any new vehicles after a year or two, of normal use much less work these trucks and be prepared to spend big $ on 'regular' maintenance and again... sky high labor costs because they are not user friendly to repair.
If you have an electrical issue behind the dash, even on warranty you better brace for impact. The labor costs will be sky high and after the job is done your dash will never be the same. All plastic designed to be assembled quick and nasty cheap by robotics... you have to break **** taking them apart.
Sorry I've said enough. I hate all the new junk out there. They use emotion to sell the scrap. In Canada a new 1 ton loaded 4x4 is over $80K.
IMO 40K is WAY too much for even a good truck, which doesn't exist anyway.

I agree with some of your points for sure, but there hasn't been any serious issues with these new trucks, yes some recalls here and there but nothing major by any means, no one can predict the future, and so far this new body style hasn't been breaking down or starting to rust. Id wait another 5 years or so till we start seeing rusted out fenders, or large scale ecotech engine failures, before you start saying they arnt well built. For the past three years I am very happy with my new truck and I know many other people who are as well.

I only speaking about gas engine trucks, the new age diesel trucks are a who different conversation.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I have an 08 gmc 2500 hd, and the bed is rusted out, and I noticed while washing it last month, the cab has a hole rusted through underneath the doors on one side. I always kept it clean and washed, didn't abuse it, lived in town most of the time so no excessive dirt or gravel roads. kept salt washed off it in the winters. and it still rusted. badly. may just be me, but I find this totally unacceptable in a truck less than 10 years old. for the age, my 74 has less rust, and it spent 40 years on granddads farm

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I have an 08 gmc 2500 hd, and the bed is rusted out, and I noticed while washing it last month, the cab has a hole rusted through underneath the doors on one side. I always kept it clean and washed, didn't abuse it, lived in town most of the time so no excessive dirt or gravel roads. kept salt washed off it in the winters. and it still rusted. badly. may just be me, but I find this totally unacceptable in a truck less than 10 years old. for the age, my 74 has less rust, and it spent 40 years on granddads farm

Ever since '99 Gm can't seem to do a rocker panel that will last much beyond warranty. The fact that the steel is razor thin nowdays doesn't help the situation any. Personally, I think they need to start making more panels from aluminum, especially high corrosion ares such as rockers and cab corners. The panel adhesives on the market these days that act as a chemical weld shouldn't have a problem with bonding dissimilar materials.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll clarify what I meant a little bit.

No, nothing is build like it used to be.

I like the '14 and newer trucks and consider them to be well built. NOT the '07-'13 generation.

Also, ifs and buts are just that... ifs and buts. IF this fails it could be expensive, IF that fails it could be hard to work on, etc.

The fact is, they are damn reliable trucks and they get the job done that they need to.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I'll clarify what I meant a little bit.

No, nothing is build like it used to be.

I like the '14 and newer trucks and consider them to be well built. NOT the '07-'13 generation.

Also, ifs and buts are just that... ifs and buts. IF this fails it could be expensive, IF that fails it could be hard to work on, etc.

The fact is, they are damn reliable trucks and they get the job done that they need to.

agreed, we wont know the effects of the 14-newer trucks until a few years from now. I can say one thing for sure I did not like to 07-13 body style truck, especially the interior, that's just my opinion though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84