Glove Box Latch 73-87 (91) Chevy GMC Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
May have to go pick up a new latch. Gotta be easy to find at a pick-n-pull :shrug:

You can do that too, but they are a bitch to get off, even if you know now to get them off.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll pay ya through payapl if ya have one buddy. :handshake:

Do have that latch bar at the top that bolts to the dash itself? The part the latch catches on?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do have that latch bar at the top that bolts to the dash itself? The part the latch catches on?
Yeah, I got it, looks like a piece of bent wire, right? Maybe even a whole door I can get my hands on and switch the parts out.

4X4 Wife

Reaction score
First Name
Roni
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Thanks for Info!

Hi there HotRodPC,

Having been tasked with removing just such a latch, I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out this 'puzzle box' on my own, and then gave up and tried Google.

I found your thread here and just want to tell you thank you! Your instructions were easy to follow, and even without the benefit of seeing the pictures, we have now liberated the latch from glove box :grd:

AMAZING :winner_second_h4h:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hi there HotRodPC,

Having been tasked with removing just such a latch, I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out this 'puzzle box' on my own, and then gave up and tried Google.

I found your thread here and just want to tell you thank you! Your instructions were easy to follow, and even without the benefit of seeing the pictures, we have now liberated the latch from glove box :grd:

AMAZING :winner_second_h4h:

Thanks for the comments 4x4Wife. Always good to here when posts do help others. Welcome aboard GMSB too. Feel free to visit often. :High 5:

Clarke

Reaction score
First Name
Clarke
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Glove Box Latch

Excellent directions and pictures! I fought with mine several times (including breaking the plastic latch handle off by prying on it!) and then came across this post and this forum. Now off to the boneyard to find a replacement latch and I'll be set. Thanks!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NIce to see someone else benefitied also. Thanks for dropping in and letting us know. We have a few other good tech write ups too, so feel free to look around. Welcome to GMSB.

Dblduce

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
similar latch

I have a 1990 class C motorhome that is built on a Chevy 30 van chassis. I believe the entire dash area is based on the van style. My glovebox/console latch looks exactly like the one post in your pictures. The latch is completely loose though, meaning i can turn the entire thing just about 360 degrees. i dont know if this was removed at one point and someone didnt put all the parts back together, or whether something has come loose, etc. My question is, how do i get it tightened back into the proper position so the lid actually latches? do i have to take this off/out of the console, or is there some kind of wedge/spacer that might be missing to make this not so loose? I cant seem to see anything disconnected from it, and it does latch properly if i can get it lined up and held in place. I dont want to have to take the thing apart unless I have to since there is no other way to do it.

buff

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I own a 1986 Gmc 1500 Sierra classic the problem is the loose glove box latch that lets the door to it rattle loudly when driving.I am tired of using paper to wedge in so could anyone tell me how to tigthen the latch up properly once and for all?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I own a 1986 Gmc 1500 Sierra classic the problem is the loose glove box latch that lets the door to it rattle loudly when driving.I am tired of using paper to wedge in so could anyone tell me how to tigthen the latch up properly once and for all?

Yep, simply follow the instruction here on page 1 of this thread. This is the exact common problem this thread is to fix. You'll have to pull it apart just like shown to tighten it.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
This is awesome. I went to the yard and pulled another box since my hinge was broken. Took me 30 minutes get my head around the concept and figure it out. Took me 10 seconds to get the lock out of the other glove box :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is awesome. I went to the yard and pulled another box since my hinge was broken. Took me 30 minutes get my head around the concept and figure it out. Took me 10 seconds to get the lock out of the other glove box :)

You'd never think those little latches would be such a PITA but they are. Having the combination of how to do it makes it much simpler.... if you hold your mouth right.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You'd never think those little latches would be such a PITA but they are. Having the combination of how to do it makes it much simpler.... if you hold your mouth right.

And don't foget, glove box latches match the bucket seat center console latches :crazy:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8