Giving into my wallet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Summers coming up and as much as I love my truck as it is, I need some economy. Right now I have a 600cfm eddy sitting on an aluminum gmpp intake on a 350 chevy. With a th350 trans, and what I think are 3.08 gears and 31s. Im going to be driving on the highway every day here soon.

My thoughts are to put in a 2004r or 700r4. Im leaning towards a 2004r for the better gearing, and ive heard it fits better in the place of my th350 with a 9 inch tail housing. But I can get either for 400 if 2004r, or 450 with a couple month warranty for 700r4. Both were just pulled from running cars, unknown mileage.

For my fuel system im thinking of going to a quadrajet, my eddy runs fine but its just dumping fuel. If anyone knows how to pick a good quadrajet and could give some basic tuning tips I'd appreciate it, all ive ever known is this edelbrock.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I bought my quadrajet from http://nationalcarburetors.com/

You will need to make sure you adjust the idle mixture though. And I did have issues with the secondary choke pull off. But, I will tell you with my 700r4 and q-jet, Im only getting between 16-20 mph depending on how much city driving there is and how bad the wind is.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you're looking to save money...and fuel, look into buying a Civic or some 15-20 year old 4 banger. Civics are a dime a dozen at junkyards, replacement parts are cheap and stocked everywhere, and you can get into a running one for under 1,000. Add another 100-150 in preventative maintenance, plus tags and such and you should be into a running driving car for around $1500.

At 30 mpg highway for 100 miles per week at $2.50/ gallon you would paying $33/month in fuel. Compare that to your costs now and see how long it would take to realize a cost savings. Sometimes you are better off trying to squeeze out what you can from what you got. I drive 650 miles a week so I would start seeing a cost savings after 6 months if I drove an economy car for work.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
stock 200-4r wasnt meant to be behind a v8 in a heavy truck so unless its been built to handle the load dont bother. The 700r4 did come in these truck and depending what year it is or if its been rebuilt it will handle it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Summers coming up and as much as I love my truck as it is, I need some economy. Right now I have a 600cfm eddy sitting on an aluminum gmpp intake on a 350 chevy. With a th350 trans, and what I think are 3.08 gears and 31s. Im going to be driving on the highway every day here soon.

My thoughts are to put in a 2004r or 700r4. Im leaning towards a 2004r for the better gearing, and ive heard it fits better in the place of my th350 with a 9 inch tail housing. But I can get either for 400 if 2004r, or 450 with a couple month warranty for 700r4. Both were just pulled from running cars, unknown mileage.

For my fuel system im thinking of going to a quadrajet, my eddy runs fine but its just dumping fuel. If anyone knows how to pick a good quadrajet and could give some basic tuning tips I'd appreciate it, all ive ever known is this edelbrock.
Except for the intake your truck is set up exactly the same as mine.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I use this to determine what makes financial sense, like my decision to buy an 81 instead of a Duramax from the same place for the same price lol.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.jsp
nice quick calc, have to add in insurance and registration cost if keeping both cars. Those two pushed it in to the not worth territory for my 35mpg in the city Sonic and it went for sale.
But for longer distance every day driving, agree with everybody here regarding getting a cheap daily. Otherwise 700r4 and can leave the carb alone(just tune it)

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I use this to determine what makes financial sense, like my decision to buy an 81 instead of a Duramax from the same place for the same price lol.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.jsp

Are you sure this is accurate? these are the figures for my old s10 I traded in on my Corolla.
Paymet was $240 a month that alone equals more than the yearly value this uses for the Corolla.

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The true way to compare 2 vehicles is to put the purchase price (including all upgrades blah blah blah) in on vehicle A

I ran it for a $5k squarebody getting 8mpg and compared to a $15k car that got 20mpg. If your paying cash just put in the price of the car and the same value for down payment.

One step further, you could put in the price of a vehicle and it's mpg, then add the estimated money, you would put into it to get XXmpg, to your buying price and see what that does to the numbers.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The true way to compare 2 vehicles is to put the purchase price (including all upgrades blah blah blah) in on vehicle A

I ran it for a $5k squarebody getting 8mpg and compared to a $15k car that got 20mpg. If your paying cash just put in the price of the car and the same value for down payment.

One step further, you could put in the price of a vehicle and it's mpg, then add the estimated money, you would put into it to get XXmpg, to your buying price and see what that does to the numbers.

to many variable for someone to write a simple app for. The simplicity of the one above would be nice but it says yearly cost includ. loan and it didnt include the loan on mine.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Yea I've been between it too, this batch of research is the last to determine wheather or not the c10 stays as my daily. A 2000 civic is actually just the car I've been looking into hahaha, if I go that way I can start building the truck for power too.

Great calculator too btw

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
What do you run?
Honestly im not sure because my speedo dont work for me to track miles but i put in about 15 to 30 a week. If its empty it takes roughly 40. I dont drive to aweful far but it only uses like at most half a tank a week

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree with you on the Quadrajet, and I agree with the consensus about the 700R4 vs the 200-4R in the truck. I again also agree with getting a little something to scoot around in. My angle with my big ole car that I care about is that I’ll never park it in some hell hole out of fear that someone will steal it or break into it and steel stuff out of it. That or someplace really crowded where I have to park it where it can get hurt. If I had some little POS, I could go and park anywhere, and even though I wouldn’t be too frazzled if I came back and it wasn’t there, I wouldn’t expect it to go anywhere. That and if it it gets crunched up in an accident and gets turned into Nestle water bottles later on, it won’t be the end of the world then either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54