Getting the shaft...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 TBI
Why not pull the engine and tranny from the burban install in the truck and proceed with the swap you intend for the burban?

That’d make sense, right?
But, my in laws are coming to visit for three months and we need a family hauler... My wife’s Jeep won’t cut it, and we only have the three vehicles.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
But, my in laws are coming to visit for three months and we need a family hauler... My wife’s Jeep won’t cut it, and we only have the three vehicles.
Ummm your truck has a bed it could be like Charlie’s grandparents sharing the same one....

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

how long till they get here and whats needed for the desired swap in the burban?

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ummm your truck has a bed it could be like Charlie’s grandparents sharing the same one....

Ha! Nice reference. They’re a bit on in age, it’s Arizona winter, and they’re British. While it may be novel for a trip or two, they want to go to California over the Christmas holidays... I don’t think they’d make it to Palm Springs in the bed of the pickup ;)

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
how long till they get here and whats needed for the desired swap in the burban?

They get here on Wednesday... I still need to drop the hammer on the parts for the ‘burb swap, so it’ll have to wait. I’ve been going back and forth about what direction to take, and the *responsible* family-first route is the way to go for now...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ha! Nice reference. They’re a bit on in age, it’s Arizona winter, and they’re British. While it may be novel for a trip or two, they want to go to California over the Christmas holidays... I don’t think they’d make it to Palm Springs in the bed of the pickup ;)
Probably not what’s Az winter 70s?

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Probably not what’s Az winter 70s?

We won’t see highs in the 70’s for another month or so. Definitely nothing to worry about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
We won’t see highs in the 70’s for another month or so. Definitely nothing to worry about:

Well you suck lol
wanna trade?

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well you suck lol
wanna trade?

Damn! That’s chilly. Colorado is pretty nice, though. Beautiful state. I’ll stick with this weather for now, thanks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm just now seeing this thread Jason. I do remember you summer vacation and drama with the driveshaft well. I'll stick with what I said way back then, That driveline shop pieced together 2 different driveshafts and made a piece of ****. They obviously missed something. What they missed I'm unsure of, but they missed totally. I'd never go back to that **** hole again. I know I asked you to ask them about balancing and they claimed this did.

I did skim this thread. Do I understand right? You've got a complete new driveshaft coming now? Maybe the best thing to do at this point. What I would have wanted, is for that POS driveline shop to give my front half of my driveshaft they tossed out in their bone yard and give them back their front half from a 1/2 ton Burb. Take my complete OEM driveshaft and have it shortened with the correct size U joint and 27 spline slip yoke for the 700r4, rebalance and then be done. That's what they should have done and did not do it. I'll assure you they didn't.

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
@HotRodPC
Hey man! Yep, they definitely screwed me over. Absolutely denied any culpability in the problems... The failure was exactly the same and the driveshafts are definitely a bodge. I’m still trouble-shooting to see if anything else could compound the issue, but it doesn’t look like it. I checked the read end geometry, the trans location and tilt angle, and ultimately I think that the shaft may be too short, or there is something jacked with the slip joint on the rear driveshaft.
And yes, I have a badass 5” aluminum, billet ended driveshaft coming from a shop I used back in my trophy truck days. Overkill, but still pretty excited.
Now I need to build a loop for it just to be really confident on the road.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Post some pics up once you get the new driveshaft in. I want to see that piece or art. Should make for a nice smooth setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike