Getting Every Last Drop of Stale Gas Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What's the best way to deal with this on a TBI car? It's my old man's '89 Caprice. I stuck a siphon hose in the tank, and all I got were vapors. There's still a little bit in the tank, though, and it's gotta be in the lines. I thought about pulling the feed line off the TBI and siphoning all I could out that way. I think the level in the tank is below the pickup so I'm thinking fresh gas should dilute that crap well enough. I was just wondering if anyone had tried to pull it through the lines front ways without dropping the tank and blowing it out that way. I'll do it if I have to, and it's not a bad job on the Caprice, but I'd avoid it if I could. What little fuel is in there is about 3-4 years old. It doesn't smell like full on varnish, and it actually smells more reminiscent of gasoline, but you can tell it's garbage. Otherwise, the car just needs a battery, a transmission pan gasket, a good vacuuming and some Tuff Stuff on the mats, and I think the contacts need to be cleaned on the wiper motor, and it's good to go. It's got 22,000 original miles with a 305/700R4.
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I would just fill it up and run it. Change a fuel filter shortly after
Thats what i did with my truck, then shortly after took the carb apart and cleaned it and a new fuel filter. Runs like a top.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
That's a nice car!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Car looks pretty clean, but what's aĺl over the steering wheel?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Looks like mold from sitting

That would make sense. I forgot what part of the country he's in. Don't usually see mold on the steering wheels up my way.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, that's mold. Everything gets it down here when it sits. These old cars only get it on the dash and the steering wheel, but the ones with vinyl/leather seats get it bad. I gotta clean all that up, but those upholstery wipes knock it out in a second. I'll do that. Just fill it up with gas and start it up. The filter was changed about 200 miles ago, which was about seven years ago, but it's probably gonna need it now.

That's a nice car!
Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii