General Brake Job Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Alright. So I just got done doing my first complete brake job, and I had a few post-op questions and concerns. I used NAPA premium shoes and pads. I had my drums turned, and they're perfectly within diameter spec (even with a casting date of October 21st, 1985 and 251,000 miles). I replaced a wheel cylinder from the same date on one side that started leaking and acting up as soon as I started messing with it. I adjusted the star adjusters to where there was just barely resistance on the drums. I buttoned it up and finalized the adjustment with actuating the parking brake and slamming pretty good on them going in reverse. Everything turned out great. The fronts are what worry me. One of the rotors was an aftermarket one, but I'm pretty sure the other one was original. The newer one was well above the thickness spec, but the old one was slightly below after turning. I figured since I generally have conservative braking habits, it would be okay, but if there are problems, I won't hesitate to replace. From what I can tell, the side with the newer rotor sounds fine, but the one with the older one sounds bad...like embarrassingly bad. It sounds like it'll partially touch the pads every rotation and go "shh-shh-shh" depending on speed. I was also wondering about overall front brake noise. Both sides will make a sort of light roar when I hit the brakes moderately. They work very well, and it's not an ugly or alarming noise, but I was just wondering if that was normal on new front brakes. I'm also wondering if I just need to ditch that older front rotor. I spun the rotors after I repacked the bearings and before I installed the calipers, and they were very smooth and fluid-like.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Post a pic of how the rotor is cut. There is kind of an art to resurfacing. And a ****** job will produce noise and eat pads. Also what grade and material pads did you use? Cheap equals noise and quick wear coupled with a ****** cut, if that's the case ,will produce an annoying noise.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'll post up a pic when I get out of the tire place. A ****** alignment ate up my two relatively new front tires that were on there when I got it. I used the NAPA Premium organic pads. I figured these would be better in terms of rotor wear. They've got the cheap Proformers, the moderate Premiums, and the more expensive Ultra Premiums. The light roar when braking isn't loud or annoying, just different. The "shh" noise is extremely loud and annoying. I was also going to clarify that the discard thickness is .965 inches, and these are at .925 inches.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'll post up a pic when I get out of the tire place. A ****** alignment ate up my two relatively new front tires that were on there when I got it. I used the NAPA Premium organic pads. I figured these would be better in terms of rotor wear. They've got the cheap Proformers, the moderate Premiums, and the more expensive Ultra Premiums. The light roar when braking isn't loud or annoying, just different. The "shh" noise is extremely loud and annoying. I was also going to clarify that the discard thickness is .965 inches, and these are at .925 inches.
I'd get new. But that's me. Here in Pa that would fail saftey inspection, then again were pricks like that here.lol I've learned my lesson with cheap pads. Yes they save rotor life but to what extent...poor braking when you need a panic stop and noisy and line your wheels with nasty crud.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Gotcha. I thought I could pull that one off, but every instinct I have is telling me to replace the damn thing the more I think about it. Thanks!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Gotcha. I thought I could pull that one off, but every instinct I have is telling me to replace the damn thing the more I think about it. Thanks!
Yup. If you were closer I'd give you one of my good resurfacible spares I have a few.lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks. It'd be nice to have someone closer who's pretty adept in the older vehicle game, and I appreciate you offering to give me stuff all the time. I would do the same if it were feasible.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
always replace all brake parts in pairs. if you need one rotor replace both. if you need one wheel cylinder replace both. use quality parts that means no Chinese rotors or drums or anything for that matter. made in USA 1st, Canada 2nd, Mexico 3rd. highdesertranger

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm so ******* stupid. I pulled the old rotor to see what was up, and I put the inner pad on backwards, and it totally scored the back of the old rotor and covered everything in metal shavings. That's easily the dumbest thing I've ever done on a vehicle. I've got the new rotor on there, and it's been repacked. I just gotta CORRECTLY install the caliper and pads and button it up.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm so ******* stupid. I pulled the old rotor to see what was up, and I put the inner pad on backwards, and it totally scored the back of the old rotor and covered everything in metal shavings. That's easily the dumbest thing I've ever done on a vehicle. I've got the new rotor on there, and it's been repacked. I just gotta CORRECTLY install the caliper and pads and button it up.
**** happens man. Every one does it just not everyone will fess up. Cool you got it sorted out.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks. It sounds a whole lot better now. I toasted the integrated shim on the new pad so I just got one of the removable shims from the old pads and put a little grease on both sides so it wouldn't make noise.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Hey! At least it happened on the OLD rotor! Lol. We all fk up from time to time.... keeps life interesting so they say. ;):D

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
As long as it's used as a learning experience it's all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08