Fuel tanks running out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ooh, I understand a bit better. Ive seen those valves, have no idea how they work. I have what i think is an earlier style, just one wire

You must be registered for see images attach
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with that single wire type.. Could be an after market installation.. Maybe someone else can chime in here..

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ooh, I understand a bit better. Ive seen those valves, have no idea how they work. I have what i think is an earlier style, just one wire

You must be registered for see images attach
Thats what my truck has

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In addition to leaky fuel lines, you've got the selector valve wired wrong.. It's not a solenoid that needs constant power.. The selector valve is actually a spool valve. The "electric part" is an ungrounded DC motor that moves the spool valve. The switch is wired in such a way that polarity is reversed back and forth to make motor change rotation direction. Once the motor has moved the spool valve, voltage is not needed to "hold" the valve. Momentary voltage application is all that's needed. The factory control switch in the dash has 2 parts.. One part of the switch selects the proper tank gauge sending unit.. The other parts applies the voltage momentarily to the selector valve.. The wiring for dual tanks is complex but not difficult to add/construct once you understand how the system works..

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with that single wire type.. Could be an after market installation.. Maybe someone else can chime in here..

The older trucks have a simple solenoid valve with a 12v wire and it self grounds to the frame from what I remember. It's been a while since I had mine apart. Without power to the solenoid, it pulls fuel from the right side. When the dash switch (just a basic rocker) is switched to left, it sends the 12v to the solenoid and it pulls fuel from the left.

I like to use the left tank as the primary tank. It keeps the solenoid active and if it ever quits working for some reason, it will just divert to the right tank with fuel still in it.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
The older trucks have a simple solenoid valve with a 12v wire and it self grounds to the frame from what I remember. It's been a while since I had mine apart. Without power to the solenoid, it pulls fuel from the right side. When the dash switch (just a basic rocker) is switched to left, it sends the 12v to the solenoid and it pulls fuel from the left.

I like to use the left tank as the primary tank. It keeps the solenoid active and if it ever quits working for some reason, it will just divert to the right tank with fuel still in it.

That's how I need to set mine up, good concept

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

What's the arrangement for switching the sending unit in the tanks -- a separate spdt switch.. Seems primitive... No wonder GM went to the motorized valve.. Everything gets switched with a single switch, even the vent system... The vapor canister on my truck is a "dual unit" and it gets switched in the process...

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
What's the arrangement for switching the sending unit in the tanks -- a separate spdt switch.. Seems primitive... No wonder GM went to the motorized valve.. Everything gets switched with a single switch, even the vent system... The vapor canister on my truck is a "dual unit" and it gets switched in the process...

No its a dpdt, all in one, I just run the vents into a t

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

The dash switch controls the solenoid and switches the senders to the gauge.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The dash switch controls the solenoid and switches the senders to the gauge.
gotcha.. Must be a helleva solenoid to handle 100% duty cycle for hours and hours...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
gotcha.. Must be a helleva solenoid to handle 100% duty cycle for hours and hours...

Couldn't tell ya, but it's roughly the size of a door lock actuator.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Couldn't tell ya, but it's roughly the size of a door lock actuator.
I didn't necessarily refer to it's size.. Just it's ruggedness..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes