Fuel tank fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello all I need to know what clearance I have in regards to the top of the fuel tank and the bottom of the box. I just installed a brand new 16 gallon Spectra Premium tank and it went in nicely but it seems to sit about 1/2” above the frame rails and I’m worried the tank will rub the box braces.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
As long as you have clearance and yoyr bed is mounted well to the frame you'll be fine. For security you can tape cardboard to the top of the tank, and check back later to see if its been worn at all

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The tank brackets are the same both sides, all years as far as fitament though there were different styles. So if you used the OEM bolt holes and brackets you should be good to go without worries. So if you think it's close, how does the bed line up with the cab? Does the bed or cab sag at all? What I'm getting at is, I'd be more cocerned if the body mount bushings haven't gone bad and allowed the bed support to rub the tank. It would probably rub the fuel lines directly behind the cab first.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hello all I need to know what clearance I have in regards to the top of the fuel tank and the bottom of the box. I just installed a brand new 16 gallon Spectra Premium tank and it went in nicely but it seems to sit about 1/2” above the frame rails and I’m worried the tank will rub the box braces.

Since no one can give you an answer that actually covers the question, I just went out to look at mine. The tank sits about 1/2" below the frame rail, with the lines running over it (which would locate between the cross braces of the box). It sounds as if there's either a problem with the tank manufacture, or there's something else holding it proud of the frame rail.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You must be registered for see images attach

Shields

Reaction score
First Name
Dayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Since no one can give you an answer that actually covers the question, I just went out to look at mine. The tank sits about 1/2" below the frame rail, with the lines running over it (which would locate between the cross braces of the box). It sounds as if there's either a problem with the tank manufacture, or there's something else holding it proud of the frame rail.

Thank you that’s exactly what I needed to see. It’s a bare frame and there’s nothing holding it up. I think the tank itself is almost 1” taller than factory, I even had to modify the new tank straps to fit the tank too. I’ve already installed everything in the tank and I can’t return it so I think I have to drill out some holes and lower the mounting brackets. Thanks again.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
No problem. Sad to hear that the quality on the tanks are slipping to this extent. First I've heard of anyone having this kind of issue. But, the situation is what it is.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you have any pics of this tank? Even the bottom of it in the brackets would be cool. That'll be a first I've heard of a tank fitament issue even on the Spectra tanks. Knowing you had to modify the strap would have been the first clue something was up. Good news is, if the tank is taller then your gauge on E will have a bit more reserve.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

You've got a 1-ton though, with the taller frame rails.

The aftermarket straps available are pretty low quality, not surprised that they needed some fixin. Iirc, the tank in my C10 hugs very tight to the cab. But I'm a few states away to confirm.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You've got a 1-ton though, with the taller frame rails.

The aftermarket straps available are pretty low quality, not surprised that they needed some fixin. Iirc, the tank in my C10 hugs very tight to the cab. But I'm a few states away to confirm.
It was my understanding that the extra frame height was added to the bottom of the frame. Which would be why the frame hangs visibly lower in the 1 ton models. The fuel tanks however, do not hang visibly lower, which would tell me that the the mount holes are located from the top of the frame, and would have the same clearance to the bed cross braces across the model range.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It was my understanding that the extra frame height was added to the bottom of the frame. Which would be why the frame hangs visibly lower in the 1 ton models. The fuel tanks however, do not hang visibly lower, which would tell me that the the mount holes are located from the top of the frame, and would have the same clearance to the bed cross braces across the model range.

You could very well be right, but it would not surprise me if the tanks mounted a little lower in relation to the top of the frame. A minor difference in height wouldn't require different fuel lines or fill hoses.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Regardless, anything above the framerail is still going to interfere with the bed cross braces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84