Fuel Tank Filler hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dw_cavfd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi guys first time post and just want to say this forum has helped me out a lot.

I recently bought a 1978 k20 and when I got it the guy before me was using a toyota fuel tank filler setup to put gas in the tank. I am trying to make it right now since the toyota setup does not vent right and puts more gas on the ground then in the tank. Below is the pictures of the tank I have (passenger side) and the bed of the truck. What setup do I need for this? I have looked on LMC and there are like 3 different pipes and hose combos. Can someone lead me in the right direction? Also are these parts I can order from carquest or should I stick with LMC?

Thanks for the help!!

You must be registered for see images attach

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For that bed opening you'll need LMC Part # 32-3364

Do you have just the single tank? What side is it on? I might have the filler neck you need. Not sure about the hose though.

dw_cavfd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the quick reply. It has the setup for dual tanks but there is only one on the passenger side right now.

Do I also need part 32-5810 or just the filler neck bolts right in?

Thanks!

sticman

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1980 /1987
Truck Model
K10 / V10
Engine Size
350 5.7L TPI
Last edited:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was lookin and I figured you would need part #'s 32-3360 and 32-3302 from LMC.

I tried getting a filler hose from carquest and they couldn't get one.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the quick reply. It has the setup for dual tanks but there is only one on the passenger side right now.

Do I also need part 32-5810 or just the filler neck bolts right in?

Thanks!

you do NOT need 32-5810. BTW are you sure it's a 1978? I thought all 78's and earlier came WITHOUT a filler door?

You may have a later year bed on the 78 frame. And I bet if you do, that you still have the 78 tank which has different size filler neck opening.

But if that is not the case then...

You will need:

#1 - 38-7898
#2 - 30-3180
#3 - 30-0414 (2)
#4 - 30-1840 (2)
#9 - 32-3364
#11 - 32-3304 (apparently fits both sides in your year)
#12 - 30-3426 (2)
#13 - 32-3314 (passenger side version)
#14 - 30-3424 ( 2)

and I bet you need the screws to hold the filler neck to the bed. They don't sell those for #9 but I bet they are the same as the ones they do sell, #8 - 30-0454. You will need 2 of them. Other wise you would need to get some from a hardware store.

Last edited:

dw_cavfd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help. I think it might be a different bed on it but I am not sure. If this is the case I'm guessing I will need to piece all this together?

Thanks

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help. I think it might be a different bed on it but I am not sure. If this is the case I'm guessing I will need to piece all this together?

Thanks

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! (everything in bold was written after all the stuff that isn't bolded)

I noticed in your first picture, that you can see the filler openings of the tank through your bed opening. That must mean you have a 20 gallon tank. On my dual 16 gallon setup, you cannot see the end of the gas tank through the bed opening. How many gallons does it take when you fill up?? PS - I am not sure the hoses LMC sells fit 20 gallon setups?? Anyone???

First off I gave you bad information on the filler neck year of change.

The gas tank filler neck hose sizes are the same for 73-81. In 82, they changed the size of the filler neck hole. So you probably still have the 78 tank with a 79 or later bed. I was correct on saying that starting in 79 they changed to fuel filler doors (like your pic shows)

So with that in mind, you should be good with using all the parts I said. The year of the tank would determine what filler neck hose you would need to buy. You could measure it. The fuel filler necks from 1973-1981 had 1-1/4" ID fuel filler hoses. From 1982-1987 the fuel filler hoses were 1-5/8" ID.

Figure that out first before you buy. That will reveal your tank year.

Last edited:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! (everything in bold was written after all the stuff that isn't bolded)

I noticed in your first picture, that you can see the filler openings of the tank through your bed opening. That must mean you have a 20 gallon tank. On my dual 16 gallon setup, you cannot see the end of the gas tank through the bed opening. How many gallons does it take when you fill up?? PS - I am not sure the hoses LMC sells fit 20 gallon setups?? Anyone???

I gave bad info as well. I didn't even notice his bedside had a fuel door in it.

I bought the filler hose for my '84 from LMC truck and it fit my 20 gallon tank perfect. If they only sell one size for a certain year, I would think it'd be the 16 gallon tank hose. It could surely be cut down to fit a 20 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah but that looks almost like a straight shot from the opening to the filler opening on the tank.. I can't envision how it will hook up. Need pics of someone's 20 gallon setup.

here is my 83 passenger filler neck and you can see the factory small hoses that go from neck to a metal curved piece (not pictured) then from that metal pipe to the tank openings.

Last edited:

dw_cavfd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help guys. It's really appreicted.

I was able to bolt in the filler neck style in the picture above and was able to get the filling tube on but need a different vent hose then the one I purchased. Is there some sort of plate that goes around the metal filler neck thats attached to the bed? I have a huge open space still where you can look down and see the tank from the opening in the bed.

Does anyone have a picture of the above filler neck behind the gas door?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is the passenger side of the dual tank setup that is on my 83. Everything is how it came from the factory.

filler neck behind fuel door

factory hoses and metal piping (again I have 16 gallon tanks, not sure what a 20 gallon setup would look like)

Last edited:

dw_cavfd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the pics, that's what it looks like now. Just wanted to make sure I had the right set up.

Thanks again everyone for the help!!

rdnether

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I know this thread is a little old, but I just wonder how it turned out. I have the same situation, I have a 1978 GMC K25, with a fuel door. I thought this was the original bed, but I'm not sure. Are there any identifying numbers on the bed to determine year? Did GM put fuel doors on the late 78's?

I need to replace the filler neck and hose and not sure exactly what I should use. I believe it is a 20 gallon tank. The existing neck and tank both require a 1 3/8" hose.

Thanks for any information!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA