Fuel pump help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Alright, so in my 78 c10 i put in dual tanks myself, pulled a switch from the junk yard and did all the hose routing etc, and it mostly works. But when i accidentally run all the way out of gas and get air in the line, its a bitch to get started again. Normaly i just have to get hacky with the wiring on the side of the road. But today when i went to do my usual trick of putting the wire for the switch to the power termainal so it gets power even when cranking, it didn't work. I ended up bypassing the selector switch in a sketchy part of town today in the dark lol, went to crank and still, nothing! Ended up having to call for a ride to an autozone, waste 20 bucks on an electric fuel pump, and jerry rig it in place of my mechanical pump in the parking lot. That got it running. I still dont know why my mechanical pump wont work. So now i have a delima, i have this electric fuel pump i could use, and block off the manual one, or i could replace my manual one. I like the manual because its really straight forward, but this electric one seems reliable. Keep in mind im just running a standard small block with an edelbrock carb, nothing fancy, no rerurn ****. If i go with electric how should i wire it?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, I'd try to stick with the mechanical pump if it were me, and I would put the selector switch on the back burner for the moment. You may just have a bad pump. If your pushrod moves well, your cam eccentric is in good shape, and you have good fuel lines, clean strainer socks, and clean tanks, that's all you need. Oh, not to mention a fuel filter of some kind. Try getting a gas can and sucking fuel out of it with the mechanical pump. If it can't do it, it's likely a bad pump, and it definitely eliminates anything behind the pump as far as why it won't run at all.

Reactions: WFO

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
1987 GMCJimmy said a lot of good stuff. I have an edelbrock and those things like 6psi, my oem was putting out 7 to 9. if you put in a regulator set to 6 psi it may help. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128