Fuel lines and cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theBIGnaud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Vortec 350
I have a question. I dropped my tanks and cleaned/painted them. The sending unit has TWO ports. One of which is capped tight. The other each goes a three port tank selector valve. My question is, should I vent the capped line or get a special gas cap? Does anyone know which one to get? The emission ones only vent in and not out right? Thanks!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If smell is not a concern, both would be about the same. If you vent the line, you need to put an inline filter on a small piece of rubber line so it doesn't suck dirt in. Or you could do an old style vented cap (yes, outward). Is your evap canister there? I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but I prefer this way so my stuff doesn't smell like a gas station, and you don't have to think about it. Plus, it's not in the way.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
On my Camaro I used a small charcoal filter that is often used for filtering the vacuum air going to a brake booster. I just hooked it up to the vent outlet on the tank then ran a bit more hose up to the frame rail under the trunk. Its been sitting like that in my garage for a couple weeks with about 3-4 gallons of gas in the tank and I've got no smell. And I have a sensitive nose...

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
On my Camaro I used a small charcoal filter that is often used for filtering the vacuum air going to a brake booster. I just hooked it up to the vent outlet on the tank then ran a bit more hose up to the frame rail under the trunk. Its been sitting like that in my garage for a couple weeks with about 3-4 gallons of gas in the tank and I've got no smell. And I have a sensitive nose...
Like this one?

You must be registered for see images attach

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Like this one?

You must be registered for see images attach

Yup, thats pretty much exactly it. The one I used was a Dorman 80195. Looked just like that. $9.95 on Amazon. Seems to work for me so far!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm, that's a really good idea!

Latest posts

Forum statistics