Fuel Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Recently drove my truck to work and home on tje drivers sode tank. I lost power in the afternoon on tje drivers side tank and thought "maybe it's empty" so I pulled over and switched back to passenger side. It cranked up and I drove home. Ever since the fuel gage is stuck at over full, power dies when I switch from passenger to driver tank, and when putting gas in either tank it won't let me just fill up I have to ease the gas in slow. Also the tank that actually runs(passenger side) the truck seems to overflow from behind the filler pipe all of a sudden.

Any info would be beneficial. I have been troubleshooting like a fiend and pretty much realize I need to drop the tanks and get in there.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Selector valve is bad. Tanks are feeding and returning improperly

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Thanks for responding. You and the guy I bought the truck from have made me start to think it could definitely be the selector valve malfunctioning. Before I was leaning mostly fuel pump and possibly degraded parts of sending unit(which could still be the case). If the selector is allowing the fuel to bleed from tan to tank that could be what is causing the guage tonhave no resistance and why it is tricky to fill either tank. IDK. I see what you are doing with your dual tanks turned into one deal. I hope it works out for you. Thanks again!

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Thanks for the confidence boost.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
So today I drove the truck far enough to see if the needle would move and it finally did. The tank that actually is supplying fuel definitely must have had gas bleed in to it from the other tank that cuts the truck off when switching to it. I have only been able to put up to 4 gallons in it at any given fill thinking the guage is just stuck because of some ground, or the valve or anything really but it still works. Great news. Now I just need to see what is up with the left side. I'm thinking I will replace the selector valve and cross my fingers that this will resolve the left tank stuff without having to drop any tanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub