Fuel Filler Parts Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a shortbed from a 1986 C10 to put on my 1976 K10. I would prefer to keep the gas door rather than the stock round hole type. Due to corrosion, I need to replace my tank, sending unit, mounts, hoses, hardware, etc.

It seems there are differences between the the year models 79-87 that had the square door and I don't know which parts to buy. Has anyone done this swap before and which parts will I need?

Thanks...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'm not sure the difference on the tanks, but heres what I know about the filler pipes. My '79 K15 had the #9 fill pipes and did not use part #5. The fill pipe bolted to a flange on the bed inside the door. My '85 K30 uses parts #5 & 10. Since my truck was a heavy duty emissions truck, it has the fill pipes marked "B" as it ran leaded fuel orginally. My '85 also has the 3 outlet sending units. If your fuel pump only has 2 ports you prabably only need the 2 port sending unit. My pump has 3.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got a new tank from Rock auto
And since mine is a Stepside I spent some time at a auto parts store and found a radiator house that works for the filler

No one makes new filler hose for Stepsides

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I got a new tank from Rock auto
And since mine is a Stepside I spent some time at a auto parts store and found a radiator house that works for the filler

No one makes new filler hose for Stepsides

NO NO NO NO NO!!!
DO NOT DO THAT!!!

That type of hose will rapidly deteriorate with fuel vapors. You will have to find a hose of the proper diameter that is made from polytetrafluoroethylene, commonly refered to as PTFE.

This is the only type of hose that is tolerant to fuels with ethanol thru E85 and right on up to nitromethane.

Please live dangerously in some other fashion.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NO NO NO NO NO!!!
DO NOT DO THAT!!!

That type of hose will rapidly deteriorate with fuel vapors. You will have to find a hose of the proper diameter that is made from polytetrafluoroethylene, commonly refered to as PTFE.

This is the only type of hose that is tolerant to fuels with ethanol thru E85 and right on up to nitromethane.

I understand it’s not a long term
Solution

But there is no other hose that will fit
It’s held up fine for three years though

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I need to replace both fuel lines from the tank to the engine. What size fuel lines would I need for the main and return? I think I need the inside diameter. My current hardlines are in rough shape and I cannot find replacements for the 4WD truck. There are many options for 2WD trucks.

Thanks...

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks. I haven't seen this site before. Did you stay with the OE type or did you go with the stainless? Is the extra cost for the stainless worth it?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Thanks. I haven't seen this site before. Did you stay with the OE type or did you go with the stainless? Is the extra cost for the stainless worth it?

I replaced my brake lines, my fuel lines were good. I just used OEM style. Good company to work with. They made an error on the first set of rear brake lines they sent me. Within a week they sent the correct ones without charge or having to return the wrong ones. Bends were all in the correct locations.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
NO NO NO NO NO!!!
DO NOT DO THAT!!!

The goofy shaped stepside hoses simply are not available. The only current option is radiator hose.

I too had to use radiator hose for my stepside fuel filler. It was supposed to be temporary until I found the correct hose. Well, 6 or so years later I have still not found the right hose and the radiator hose is still working good.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Craig 85, what is that bracket riveted to the frame at the bottom left of your picture? I have the same thing but it was not connected to anything when I got it. Is it an exhaust hanger?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Craig 85, what is that bracket riveted to the frame at the bottom left of your picture? I have the same thing but it was not connected to anything when I got it. Is it an exhaust hanger?

Yes that was for the left side tailpipe. My truck still had the OEM tailpipes on it when I purchased it last year.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The goofy shaped stepside hoses simply are not available. The only current option is radiator hose.

I too had to use radiator hose for my stepside fuel filler. It was supposed to be temporary until I found the correct hose. Well, 6 or so years later I have still not found the right hose and the radiator hose is still working good.

I only stated it as I did because I had a fuel line blow open on me. The car engine died and I only found it when I noticed a large pool of gas coming from under the car. I hastily called 911. By the time the FD got there I had another hose on; they examined the old one and explained it to me. They cleaned up the spilled fuel and said I was pretty lucky.
At least I wasn't dinner and a show.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I only stated it as I did because I had a fuel line blow open on me. The car engine died and I only found it when I noticed a large pool of gas coming from under the car. I hastily called 911. By the time the FD got there I had another hose on; they examined the old one and explained it to me. They cleaned up the spilled fuel and said I was pretty lucky.
At least I wasn't dinner and a show.

Well, coolant hose being used as a fuel feed hose.... You are correct with NO, NO, NO, NO!!! lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
NO NO NO NO NO!!!
DO NOT DO THAT!!!

Please check out this site...

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9LEwK3q2AIVzyWBCh3yDgAZEAMYAiAAEgIkMfD_BwE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara