Fuel drain back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghopp24

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
86 K10 305. If my truck sits overnight or more than say 5hrs, I have to crank on it and pump the gas to start. If it only sits an hour or two it cranks as soon as i hit the key. Carb is new as well at the fuel pump and i broke into the fuel line between the bed and cab to put a filter. The filter is always full and no leaks. Anyone have any ideas?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I usually prime mine with two pumps before starting if it sits for more than half a day. It takes only a few seconds for it to start every time. The Quadrajet has about 10 or 11 thousand miles since reman, and the fuel pump has the same mileage on it, too. If you're sitting there pumping and pumping, something's wrong, but if you're just giving it a little boost, I think that's normal.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
At the firehouse we have a 77 Chevy step van that sits outside and i need to pump the throttle a couple times and it still cranks a little bit, not long, but definitely longer than a newer fuel injected vehicle. It will start immediately if cranked shortly after it was shut off. We also have a low mileage engine in it with an edelbrock carb. I think what you have there is normal as long as you arent cranking away excessively.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just because no fuel is present doesn’t mean it’s not sucking air or allowing it to siphon fuel out of the carb when it sits due to an air leak.

ghopp24

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input..sucking some air is my guess since I have to crank on it more than 7 seconds , I would call that excessive, for it to hit after sitting a long while. . I currently have a broken ankle so it will be a bit before i can check the lines.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
This subject has been discussed before.. The fuel cannot syphon OUT of a Q-jet.. Needle and seat sits above the bottom of the carb reservoir.. Law of Physics prevents syphoning.. If the reservoir is emptying between start ups, the metering well plugs AT THE BOTTOM of the reservoir are leaking.. OR something is causing the fuel to evaporate.... It's not uncommon to have to give the throttle a couple pumps before starting.. This "loads" the choke and introduces a small amount of fuel into the intake manifold for temporary enrichment...

ghopp24

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok thanks. I'll check the carb. I used to be able to rebuild one blindfolded...20+ yrs ago..sucks getting older. Other than my starting problem she runs perfectly. Will start building a 400 after first of the year and put the 305 on the shelf.

roadracerga

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
You definitely have a siphon or drain back issue if it sits for a month or two fuel will evaporate. Fuel pumps can be an issue make sure it is not leaking into crankcase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77