Front pinion support 14 ff seeping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenny78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer(2) k30&k20
Engine Size
the front pinion support on my 14ff is weeping gear oil. There is at least one metal shim in there as well. I need to take the rear cover off to reseal and change lube. With the rear cover off, can I tap the pinion out of the rear bearing and reseal with rtv?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Its been a while since I did the work, but IIRC it was fairly easy to put a new pinion seal on my 14 bolt FF. I first tried to remove the large nut with the truck on the ground, but couldn't get enough leverage with a short breaker bar and no clearance. Then I got it up on a lift and was able to break it loose with a long breaker bar.

I found several sets of instructions about crush sleeves and other pieces that were not were not correct for the 14 Bolt FF. It has a much simpler design, with simple shims and washers. I finally just used a small chisel to mark the nut and the rear end, removed it, and then torqued it down until the marks lined up. Its been that way for at least five years now.

I ended up buying two pinion seals because I installed the first one backwards, and then damaged it getting it out. Take lots of pictures before removing things.

Bruce

kenny78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer(2) k30&k20
Engine Size
It's not the pinion sel but the front housing to pumpkin mting surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC