Front end shaking at acceleration and braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilpup

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey y'all,

I have an 86 Chevy C10 w/ 305 that has started a wobble at acceleration and breaking.

Where to start? Bushings or wheel bearings?

Thanks

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wouldn't think brakes would cause wobble during acceleration unless they are dragging. But they are a good place to start looking.

Is it the body of the truck wobbling? Do you feel it in the steering wheel or the brake pedal at all?

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
if you have a caliper or brake hose hanging up you can get a bad vibration in the front wheels

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hey y'all,

I have an 86 Chevy C10 w/ 305 that has started a wobble at acceleration and breaking.

Where to start? Bushings or wheel bearings?

Thanks

If this condition developed quickly, the first thing you should suspect is a tire issue. But if you know for sure that it's not tires, the next check would be u-joints and motor/transmission mounts.

Vibration on acceleration is generally driveline related.

BTW - when you say acceleration, do you mean like passing on the highway or coming off a red light - or both?

lilpup

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey @Dutch Rutter, it's not in the steering or pedal, it feels like it's vibrating the tires/cab.

Hey @chengny- just coming off a red light. While accelerating from a stop to about 30mph, it will wobble a bit on the front end. It doesn't really wobble while cruising.

I'll take a look this weekend. Thanks y'all.

Taylor

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You know what? This is probably not the first thing on the list of items to check, but my Jimmy was wobbling when I pulled out of the driveway or away from a stoplight/sign and when I was slowing down. I went through the steering, and I figured that the Saginaw box was gonna have slop. It did. I didn't even mess with adjusting it. I bought a remanufactured one, and I have instant steering output even with the slightest touch of the steering wheel.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@lilpup The reason I ask is I just had a bad vibration while stopping from 40-30 MPH. only felt it in the body of the truck, and I could have sworn it was in the front end. But I pulled the rear drums and had them checked out. one was warped, replaced both and most of the shake is gone. Not all just most. pretty much the warped rear drums caused the front end to dive, then not all really quickly when braking. With warped brakes you will start seeing a low brake fluid as well.

Brakes are a pretty easy thing to check, but should not give you a shake while accelerating. It is also possible that you have more then one problem causing more then one shake at the same time, pretty tough to diagnose. Could also be the spring bushings like what I was told (mine are going to get replaced soon)

A lot of times if you have a bad u-joint like chengny mentioned you'll have noise in your drive train, when putting it into gear, the truck will jump with a ping sound.

If you have Les Schwab tires (or another reputable company) they should check out most things. But if not, Could also look into tire balance, Alignment (would also have uneven tread wear), or maybe another problem with a tire on the front (bulged or a flat spot). Definitely several things to check out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tater81