Front end alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Truck is getting loose up front and also alot more play in the steering. It is a daily driver so my questions are is there anything.I can do myself to at least to identify the problem first.I'm kinda strapped and before I bring it to a shop I would like to give it a shot. Is there a forum on here that will walk me through I'd appreciate it thanks in advance.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Truck is getting loose up front and also alot more play in the steering. It is a daily driver so my questions are is there anything.I can do myself to at least to identify the problem first.I'm kinda strapped and before I bring it to a shop I would like to give it a shot. Is there a forum on here that will walk me through I'd appreciate it thanks in advance.
Play in the steering as in you turn the wheel and it moves quite a bit before the steering box produces movement? Or is the steering box reacting to your steering wheel input, but the wheels don’t react immediately?

You’ll probably need two people, or you can put a crescent wrench on the steering shaft and turn it left to right while watching the arm on your steering box for movement. If your box seems tight and reactive, put the front end up on jack stands and start wiggling stuff. Also look for torn bushings on your leaf springs.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Bushings look like they've been replaced recently. Steering is slow.to catch up with steering wheel if that makes sense. Another thing that b**ch will pull you off the road in the rain if you ain't paying attention.
I just want it safe for the ole lady to drive it.
Play in the steering as in you turn the wheel and it moves quite a bit before the steering box produces movement? Or is the steering box reacting to your steering wheel input, but the wheels don’t react immediately?

You’ll probably need two people, or you can put a crescent wrench on the steering shaft and turn it left to right while watching the arm on your steering box for movement. If your box seems tight and reactive, put the front end up on jack stands and start wiggling stuff. Also look for torn bushings on your leaf springs.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Right, you need to determine if the play is in the box, after the box or both. If you turn the wheel does the box react immediately? There is a shaft going in the back and an arm off the bottom. Does input and output happen equally or is there a delay?

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
On
Right, you need to determine if the play is in the box, after the box or both. If you turn the wheel does the box react immediately? There is a shaft going in the back and an arm off the bottom. Does input and output happen equally or is there a delay?
Definitely a delay

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Would the wear in the front tires have anything to do with something like that?
I have to rotate em soon just haven't had the time.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Maybe you need a new steering box

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And it can be a combination or a wore gear box plus wore tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm too. Park it in the street with the front tire up against a curb. Then have someone inside the truck trying to turn the tire into the curb. Sorta as if trying to bounce the tire on the curb. While they're doing that, you need to be under it watching each and every component for excess travel, flex and play. If a part has flex or play, then it needs replaced.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Nice I appreciate
And it can be a combination or a wore gear box plus wore tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm too. Park it in the street with the front tire up against a curb. Then have someone inside the truck trying to turn the tire into the curb. Sorta as if trying to bounce the tire on the curb. While they're doing that, you need to be under it watching each and every component for excess travel, flex and play. If a part has flex or play, then it needs replaced.
Thanks I appreciate the info I'll try that when I come home from fishing in the morning.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Sometimes the drag link ends loosen in the taper. Be sure to look at these ,too .Oh and please don't have the engine running while you're under it with someone at the wheel !!!

DaleP

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My right side tie rod end was very badly worn. At 45mph it got into a massive death wobble. 1/4 turn of the wheel in each direction. It was an exciting ride for a few moments!! Tie rod end fixed it and my box was fine.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just did new Gear box from napa on my k10..... tighter steering again.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
If you've never adjusted it before as well, there's a nut and bolt inside it on the top of the gearbox, that allows you to tighten up the steering. Its just a bandaid if you have other issues, but cant hurt. Just be sure to go in 1/8 to 1/4 inch increments on the center bolt, the nut is just used to lock it down

AzGeo

Reaction score
Start at the idler arm . That is the weak point on these front ends .

Stewy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
I use to work in a front end alignment shop and did quite a few checks and rebuilds on F- suspension / steering parts. Here is my recommendation.

While the truck is sitting idling, have a friend sit in the drivers seat and have turn the wheel back and forth in a short motion. Like from 12:30 to 11:30, back and forth. Not fast but not slow. Get on a creeper and slide underneath the truck and watch all of your steering components move. Your looking for bad / loose ends in every moving piece, including the steering box. You'll see it. If it's wore out, you can tell.

The steering gear boxes in these trucks were / are superior but eventually, over time, all of them wear out. A small / tiny amount of play is sufficient and can often be tightened up by the adjustment on top of the box. I believe there is a video of how to do that on this forum. Just search for it. But as they wear out, you ultimately need to replace the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84