Front axle roar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
So I rebuilt my front and rear axles including new gears. My rear axle appears to have gone perfectly, I just crossed my 500 miles on it for break-in and need to change the oil.

The front went a little less well. It starts roaring above about 40mph. It's not super loud, but it's definitely noticeable. I've only got about 30 miles on it, most of my driving I've had my hubs unlocked. Should I run it a while with the hubs locked and see how it goes or am I screwed and have to pull it back apart?

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
Mine makes a crazy sound too. A pretty load roar/whine above 30mph

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Noises from the front on solid axles is usually a bearing issue.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Motive and Yukon gears are just plain loud. They state that (usually) when you buy them unlike Richmonds. As long as you got your preload, backlash and mesh pattern good I wouldn't worry about it. If you think your mesh pattern may be too deep it may be worth redoing but honestly for a front axle that doesn't get ran that much I wouldn't worry about it. It's the screetch sound you definitely don't want, that is the sound of ring and pinion teeth knifing.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
Motive and Yukon gears are just plain loud. They state that (usually) when you buy them unlike Richmonds. As long as you got your preload, backlash and mesh pattern good I wouldn't worry about it. If you think your mesh pattern may be too deep it may be worth redoing but honestly for a front axle that doesn't get ran that much I wouldn't worry about it. It's the screetch sound you definitely don't want, that is the sound of ring and pinion teeth knifing.

It definitely sou ded like bearing rumbling, not gear knifing. I put about another 30 miles on it with the hubs locked today and the noise has gotten a good bit quieter. It may just be the bearings getting broken in and properly lubed. They are USA Standard gears. My mesh looked great when I was doing my setup, hopefully I'm just being paranoid.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah it's hard to gauge 24 inch/lbs rotational torque on the pinion for bearing preload so it is possible it is bearings but more than likely it is the casting/machine work of the USA gears. I have them in a front D60 and they do have some growl to them but I know they are set up right. It takes a while for the black finish and machining lines on the gear face and back to wear smooth. They should get quieter with time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey