Front axle pinion shaft moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowridetak59

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Vortec 350
Hi all, I have a 77 Chevy K10 that I actually got about a year ago that I just recently started to start working on my questions for today is about the front axle pinion shaft moving in and out. If I drop the front drive shaft can I drive it a short distance of about 10 miles at a low speed and can anyone tell me what has caused it to start moving in and out in drive it makes a God awful banging noise but mostly in reverse it doesn't and what exactly should I expect when I open up the case? Thanks for any info anyone can give me

slowridetak59

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Vortec 350
Here's a picture of my project old school square. I'm hoping to turn it into a phantom dually. I know it won't have the pulling capabilities but I've always wanted a 4x4 dually. So I will appreciate any suggestions that may be helpful thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Here's a picture of my project old school square. I'm hoping to turn it into a phantom dually. I know it won't have the pulling capabilities but I've always wanted a 4x4 dually. So I will appreciate any suggestions that may be helpful thanks

You must be registered for see images attach
Find a cab and chassis parts/donor truck to rob the spring hangers, springs and narrow Dually rear axle. Then you don’t need the big fenders.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey look, more of them old Selectro hubs.

You say if you pull the shaft, you can drive it a bit. Is that with the hubs unlocked. What trans and t-case do you have?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sounds like a wiped pinion bearing to me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Me too, but it should be driveable if the hubs are unlocked.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Unlock the hubs and pull the front driveshaft if it's not a NP203. If it's an NP203 without a part time kit, you're jacked. Gonna need to have that pinion bearing replaced or find a good used front axle ready to bolt in.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Unlock the hubs and pull the front driveshaft if it's not a NP203. If it's an NP203 without a part time kit, you're jacked. Gonna need to have that pinion bearing replaced or find a good used front axle ready to bolt in.

Not jacked. That's what HI LOC can be used for.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not jacked. That's what HI LOC can be used for.
Yep, Yep, Thanks for the reminder. Forgot all about that. I just get stuck in the NP203 and it being it's own differential of sorts. But, most of the NP203 trucks I've seen had fixed front hubs. you can't unlock them. Though, taking out the driveshaft, it should be able to be driven. I won't swear to it though. I've seen a 10 bolt rear get exploded because the front pinion went and the pinion walked all over the place chewing up the ring and pinion. That lifted red Burb I got all those parts from... That's what put that burb in the crusher. I did get the detroit locker out of it before we crushed it though, and the ARB Air Locker front axle with 4in lift springs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sure those who know him are aware, but @oneluckypops gets his name from working on an NP203 truck. He was under the truck without a park brake on. He took the front driveshaft out. Right at the time he pryed that front U joint out, the truck took off rolling dragging him with it. He almost died that day. He was very lucky to say the least.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Damn! That's a hell of a way to get your screen name.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

If it's the fulltime np203 couldn't he lock it and pull the front drive shaft?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, Yep, Thanks for the reminder. Forgot all about that. I just get stuck in the NP203 and it being it's own differential of sorts. But, most of the NP203 trucks I've seen had fixed front hubs. you can't unlock them. Though, taking out the driveshaft, it should be able to be driven. I won't swear to it though. I've seen a 10 bolt rear get exploded because the front pinion went and the pinion walked all over the place chewing up the ring and pinion. That lifted red Burb I got all those parts from... That's what put that burb in the crusher. I did get the detroit locker out of it before we crushed it though, and the ARB Air Locker front axle with 4in lift springs.

Originally, yes. But all the 203 trucks I've had, there were locking hubs installed by the time I got them. The truck pictured appears to have an old set of Selectro locking hubs installed. Which it doesn't make sense that it can't be driven very far with a bad front pinion. With no front shaft and hubs unlocked, it shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly