Frame differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OverUnder725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I fixed a bend in the frame on my '82 long box behind the drivers front cab mount. Decided not to use it in the end and set out to find a different one. Picked one up today, price was right (20 mins worth of snow clearing with my bobcat) and I have noticed a few differences. The new one is from an '83 but has the solid crossmember at the rear cab mounts and stepped down profile at the most rearward crossmember. All other holes in the frame are exact. I think the full crossmember at the rear cab mounts was for a 2 piece drive shaft set up, mine is a one piece. Third picture also shows a crossmember that is for a spare tire, is that correct?

Anyone see any issues with using this frame with these differences?

You must be registered for see images attach

OverUnder725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Glad I went with my gut on this one. Here are pictures of the frames lined up perfectly at the rear spring mounts. Granted, the sub frame isn't in the one on top but I don't think it would have made much difference.

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
I can confirm the solid rear cab mount is for the 2-piece driveshaft, my parts truck has the carrier bearing mount still in place. I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth the effort to convert over to the 2-piece driveshaft in my project truck (1/2-ton), I'll be doing a bit of trailer towing with it. Any advice out there?

Take Care,
KS

OverUnder725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just from moving the bare frame around the shop, it for sure ads more rigidity. Cost and trouble of converting vs advantage for towing, I couldn't say. Maybe the 2 piece shaft handle the torque better being it has the Center bearing for more support?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad