Found a factory tilt steering column with wheel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
It's off a '76 suburban. I have an' 80 GMC K2500.

I sure think this'll plug and play, right? I wasn't in a spot where I could do a whole lot of research, so I just bought it for $32.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
That’s a deal easy swap :happy107:
Glad to hear it. I figured I better just get it while it was in front of me. I unbolted and took everything I could

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You will need the steering shaft to go along with it. It has a splined end rather than the later hollow "double d" type.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
You will need the steering shaft to go along with it. It has a splined end rather than the later hollow "double d" type.
Didn't I take that with me, as pictured above?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Didn't I take that with me, as pictured above?

Ya it appears to be there. You should be good to go. Just swap it all....

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whenever someone says "easy swap"...run like hell! I'm not saying it's not a good deal but nothing is ever easy. I recently completely rebuilt my steering column, wing-windows, transfer case, air conditioning, axles....

Not a one of them damn things was an easy swap.

Now that the learning curve is behind me, I'm hoping in the future the swap is at least "easier".

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I fumbled my way through almost the identical swap when I was 17. Put a tilt column from a '76 into my '79. The only hitch I recall, had something to do with the ignition switch at the base of the column. The '79 wasn't originally a tilt truck, so, iirc, I had to get a new switch for a '79 with tilt. I can't recall if the one on the '76 column had a different plug, was damaged, or missing, but I found out pretty quick, that the non-tilt switch worked in the opposite direction of the tilt switch.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I wanted to give an update to this thread so anybody searching in the future will get my resolution to this.

I ended up doing the swap, and here's a summary:

Swapping from an 80 non tilt column to a 76 column with tilt would be a straight swap, provided the donor tilt is in perfect condition, you have the shaft all the way to the rag joint, AND you have the keys to the 76 column.

The key lock switch is different from tilt to non tilt. I figured I'd just use my non tilt lock switch in the tilt column, but discovered quickly that you either need keys to the tilt column, or you need to buy a new lock switch for tilt columns.

I went ahead and replaced all the wiring on the tilt colum, repainted it, and also had to replace a horn button part that was broken and specific to tilt columns. Also! The ignition switch down on the column is different for tilt columns. If your donor tilt column came with one, you're good to go but if not you'll need to buy one for tilt columns, since it won't swap over from the non tilt, and last not not least the plugs go in to the ignition switch differently than non tilt. It was a jigsaw puzzle trying to figure out how they plug in, but I finally got it.

I'm pleased with the results, even though in my situation it was anything but plug and play
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Yes looks really good, Fine job !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06