floor pan questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
hey all....so this will be my first floor pan job and I have some questions and my searched are yielding conflicting results.

1. do I cut the floor smaller than the floor pan patch? if so how much?

2. I was always told to weld in the new floor pans, which is no biggie as I'm a welder by trade, but now I am being told that the "new" is a body glue. sounds too good to be true. so which way is better?

3. good sources for the pans? so far I have autometal direct...any experience with them?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
everything I've bought from AMD has been very nice stuff so far

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My brother works in a body shop and they use the glue to install exterior body panels. He says to stay away from the glue on structural panels. So I too recommend welding.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you own a welder then why not weld? The panel bond adhesive gun and the adhesive are added expenses. I would also suggest that if you do glue, take notice on the outside facing part of the panel to seal the lapped over area of the repair very well from moisture.

Also, if its a large structural section of the pan maybe welding would be a safer bet.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
If you own a welder then why not weld? The panel bond adhesive gun and the adhesive are added expenses. I would also suggest that if you do glue, take notice on the outside facing part of the panel to seal the lapped over area of the repair very well from moisture.

Also, if its a large structural section of the pan maybe welding would be a safer bet.

mostly because if technology has changed, and a new glue was suppose to be better than welding (which I found hard to believe), then it would be nice to know and maybe try something different is all

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
My brother works in a body shop and they use the glue to install exterior body panels. He says to stay away from the glue on structural panels. So I too recommend welding.

cool...that's what I suspected....but the way technology changed I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
mostly because if technology has changed, and a new glue was suppose to be better than welding (which I found hard to believe), then it would be nice to know and maybe try something different is all
Oh for sure. I read an article in hotrod magazine(i believe) and they used panel bond on trunk pan extensions. Then they undercoated it to match and you couldnt even tell it was repaired.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
tly because if technology has changed, and a new glue was suppose to be better than welding (which I found hard to believe), then it would be nice to know and maybe try something different is all

If you're a gambling sort of person, go glue.
We're talking about your safety here, so I would go the welding route.
I think the floor pan is more of a structural piece. If not structural, it holds the structure in key places.
Think of all the flexing and twisting.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics