Flatbeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I've been considering getting a flatbed for my truck. I like the looks of them and it would "pretty" up the rear of the truck.

I haven't shopped for any, and quite honestly, I don't even know where to begin looking. How much do these things typically cost with a headboard? Will having side tanks be a problem for refueling?

I will probably have more q's as this thread progresses.

Thanks!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've been considering getting a flatbed for my truck. I like the looks of them and it would "pretty" up the rear of the truck.

I haven't shopped for any, and quite honestly, I don't even know where to begin looking. How much do these things typically cost with a headboard? Will having side tanks be a problem for refueling?

I will probably have more q's as this thread progresses.

Thanks!
EBY makes a nice aluminum bed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I gotta say, I've just never been a fan of flatbeds on pick ups unless they're a cab and chassis 1 ton, but I've some nicely done for some off-road rigs and I've considered maybe going with a flat bed on the K10/K20 project, but if I do, it's going to be dressed up as an off road rig with roll cage and such and hopefully a box or 2 underneath with things like the air compressor and air tank that I intend to have for tire air ups and working the ARB Air Locker. Otherwise, just not a big fan on a 1/2 ton 2wd pick up. Maybe some short stake gates that are nicely stained can make it look good. :shrug: I dunno, that's JMO. Just be sure to get one that hugs the back of the cab and doesn't hang over 10 feet and then it will look hideous as all hell.

You must be registered for see images attach

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
@HotRodPC :That last pic looks awesome! It reminds me of a RC stadium truck if the stance was widened and the whole truck lowered.

I know 2wd 1/2 tons aren't much better than grocery getters; but, my bed looks pathetic. The front of it is bowed towards the cab, no tail gate, and a ****** ass rhino paint job in the bed. I don't haul much. I just thought a flatbed would be more convenient, especially for accessing the gas tanks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well that's why I posted those pics. I don't think it would look bad if you did something like these. These were just to give you some ideas and get your mind working towards an idea rather than just the standard plain flatbeds. You can make it look good without a doubt.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
aight here's an idea I had a while back. Have your flat bed with holes on the edge so you could put sides on it that look like the original bed. Stick pins in them to hold 'em in place. Probably a stupid idea, haven't put much thought into it. Guessing it would be a shallow bed unless you have some lift.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
aight here's an idea I had a while back. Have your flat bed with holes on the edge so you could put sides on it that look like the original bed. Stick pins in them to hold 'em in place. Probably a stupid idea, haven't put much thought into it. Guessing it would be a shallow bed unless you have some lift.
That's kind of a cool idea. You could reinforce bed sides and stake then in the sides of a flat bed.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
@HotRodPC :Where did you find that kit in the bottom pic?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
That'd be a pretty cool idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes