Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
The teacher should be giving you some extra credit for making good use of left over plumbing scraps. :happy175: With all the scraps you can find on job sites, and cut them neatly enough, sell them on eBay as door striker bushings, $5.95 a set and $3 shipping. :roflbow:

I'll be sure and do that since I am the teacher......LOL!!

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
When we had the water leak on the house, the plumbers replaced the line with PEX tubing. I had them leave me the scraps. I even kept the old copper to flatten into backing heatsinks for welding holes in sheet metal.:D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll be sure and do that since I am the teacher......LOL!!

Ahh, that would be some good **** to bring up in class. Even plumbing pipe is not just used for plumbing.

Many people do not realize DUCK tape is DUCT tape, as in heating, ventilaton and air conditioning. I see all the time, people spell it DUCK tape. But the stuff is so good, and so well known and talked about its actually reffered to as DUCK tape and now there is a DUCK brand DUCT tape and you can get the stuff in about any color under the rainbow. I love it when people can be innovative and make products very multi purpose. KInda like Hot wheel tracks. My parents used that **** to whip our asses and it left mean stripes, and people wonder why I can stand Hot Wheels today. I could go my entire life wo ever seeing a Hot Wheel track.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I still like the episode of Mythbusters where they made the sailboat out of it and sailed it around the harbor.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I love it when people can be innovative and make products very multi purpose. KInda like Hot wheel tracks. My parents used that **** to whip our asses and it left mean stripes, and people wonder why I can stand Hot Wheels today. I could go my entire life wo ever seeing a Hot Wheel track.
:roflbow:

Illuminati

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/Silverado
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Did this on my truck today. What an awesome idea. I bought the 5' piece and will set it aside as the old ones wear out I can just make new ones. Not a bad repair for a couple of bucks and 10 minutes of "work". Thank you

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I finally did this also. Works great. :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This was the reason I posted this up. It worked great when I did mine and made my door latch and open like a new truck. I like the crisp feel it has now when I barely shut the door and no need at all to slam the doors. Slamming the doors never worked anyway. I'm just glad to see so many doing it and all having the same amazing results. It's cool to see and hear of all the successes. :waytogo:

zoomiah

Reaction score
First Name
jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
i just did this... worked awesome!!! thanks so much!

Don.V

Reaction score
First Name
donny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Its a very easy cheap fix. So whoever is good at math. How many squarebody slamming doors can you fix with a 5 ft stick of pex for less than $3???

What??? Did you think this was a how to fix your door thread??? It wasn't. Its a test of your mathematical skills !!!

i just join today and i already learned something new and cheap. Thanx for
the tip, i was gettin tired of slamming my doors. I liked this forum.

Illuminati

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/Silverado
Engine Size
350 4bbl
FWIW,

I was at Auto Zone today and they sell door bushings in a 4 pack. They were sold out. The kicker; they cost over 6 bucks for a package! The PEX is soooo much better of an idea and one 2 dollar tube will outlast your truck. I laughed when I seen it. Thanks for the tip here!

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
the striker bolt helped mine somewhat but still has problems. i took the door off and ugh what a @$%&* fuggin thing was not light haha and replaced the door hinge pins and bushings and that fixed it all together.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
FWIW,

I was at Auto Zone today and they sell door bushings in a 4 pack. They were sold out. The kicker; they cost over 6 bucks for a package! The PEX is soooo much better of an idea and one 2 dollar tube will outlast your truck. I laughed when I seen it. Thanks for the tip here!

That's what were here for C. Sharing tips, ideas, cheap fixes, knowledge, and get help on our squares. Feel free to add any tips and tricks you might have. Or do write ups with pics when you do a project on your truck. :waytogo:

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
best 2 bucks spent on my truck!! now i dont have to slam the heck out of my door nor do i have to get people to reclose their door cuz they didnt shut it hard enough

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Done. Awesome.

Forum statistics