Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roll'in

Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Love the Pex suggestion, will try it tomorrow! Did replace one striker bolt cause I couldn't find just a bushing. Had to remove some interior trim to keep the backing plate from dropping down into the door pillar. Splitting the Pex and sliding it on will be much simpler and cheaper.

Ralph

Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Good idea and works great. The hardest part for me was peeling all the old duct tape wrapped around the striker from the p.o. :cheers:

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Well I never have used PEX for anything, do not have any laying around and was a bit short of $3.00 just to throw away 4' 10" of PEX.
I DO have some extra 1/2" CPVC laying around from a home improvement project (same dimensions as 1/2" PEX) . Used a sawzall to 1st slice a gap then wacked off two (2) ~ 3/4" pieces. Used a pair of needle nose pliers in reverse mode to pry the CPVC open to install them. Never knew squarebody doors could close so smoothly!! :)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I made mine out of Delrin.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was a bit iffy to try this at first but I went to Home Depot and bought a 5 foot stick of it for $1.86 went home did a little eye ballin and once I put it on I can tell yah there is a world of difference such an easy and simple fix hardest part was cutting it cause I didn't have a decent saw at the house.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Just did this, it's perfect. Great idea!

TC90V10

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 4X4
Engine Size
No more door slamming 90 Brbn

That was genius! I bought a length of blue today at Home Depot and with my pvc pipe cutters was able to cut clean lengths. It also worked great to cut the clean slit. My doors close like a brand new truck! The doors shouldn't rattle in the frames like they have.

Best fix I have done to the truck yet. My wife always called it a POS because it took all she had to just to close the door. Not anymore!

Attachments

• 20160701_161315-1.jpg
    20160701_161315-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 491

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I carry a few of these in my truck. When I see nice squares in parking lots with their owners, I tell them about it and they'll usually let me install them, then I invite them here. It does amaze people.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I did it really cheaply, roll of black electrical tape! Lol

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Used this today on the new truck. I happened to have a pc of 1/2 waterline that I used. My wife could not believe how easy the doors close now. Great work @HotRodPC

HEAVYCHEVY82

Reaction score
First Name
keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yeah, you can just reach right back there on a regular cab. If it's got the rear speakers, those will need removed though.

i'm new to the group but already i can say thanks my striker on my 82 c10 is missing the bushing but my other problem is it wont tighten up.thanks to you i now know how to get to the back side.i don't know if it is stripped or what.it's 100 degrees and i'm holding off on checking it.have not had this truck too long and is my first square.just excited to be able to be in a group like this.again thanks for the info.

TC90V10

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 4X4
Engine Size
No more door slamming 90 Brbn

2 weeks now and the pex is holding up great. Wife no longer complains about the doors and they no longer rattle in the frames when going over train crossings etc. Best $5 I ever spent.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You had to spend $5? It's usually cheaper than that for a 4 foot stick. :happy175: Mine had been on for 5 or 6 years and still doing fine.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So there's really no way to get into that nut on the back of the striker for a Suburban? I would just do the pex but my strikers are all worn flat on top and chewed up from years and years of improperly aligned doors and someone that tried to use a pipe wrench or vise grips to tighten/loosen them in the past. I already have two new strikers for the front doors but I don't want to forever lose that backing plate/nut inside the B pillar. The pex is a fine idea if your strikers are okay and just need a new bushing. But for those of us who aren't so lucky, is there really no way to do it? What a ****** design... thanks GM lol

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
So there's really no way to get into that nut on the back of the striker for a Suburban? I would just do the pex but my strikers are all worn flat on top and chewed up from years and years of improperly aligned doors and someone that tried to use a pipe wrench or vise grips to tighten/loosen them in the past. I already have two new strikers for the front doors but I don't want to forever lose that backing plate/nut inside the B pillar. The pex is a fine idea if your strikers are okay and just need a new bushing. But for those of us who aren't so lucky, is there really no way to do it? What a ****** design... thanks GM lol

Not sure if the Suburbans are different from the crewcabs, but I was able to get access to the backing nut after removing the B-pillar trim...after I dropped the nut down the pillar, lol. I tried to hold it in place with a magnet while unscrewing the striker. It didn't work. That sucker dropped like a rock! Had to pull the trim, and use the magnet to reach down to the bottom of the pillar to retrieve the nut. I would think the Suburbans would be somewhat similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969