Finding my ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
it can and could but it always depends on how it breaks and if when it broke did it need to be replaced.... If it broke badly then they may have replaced it with an open diff, which is usually the easiest course of action.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
it can and could but it always depends on how it breaks and if when it broke did it need to be replaced.... If it broke badly then they may have replaced it with an open diff, which is usually the easiest course of action.
Im tending to think its still factory guts due to me being only the 3rd owner of the truck. The first just used it to haul a set in camper and i personally know the guy i bought it from. Any insight on what usually blows in them? So i know what to look for while inside.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
When i pull off the cover ill take pics and post up. Idk when thatll be but... btw how gear oil goes in it?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Until it begins to run out of the fill hole.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
What breaks with the G80 can't usually be fixed because it actually fractures the carrier, so in the face of spending 500 or more dollars on a carrier, people usually opt to go with a wrecking yard open and rebuild that, or upgrade to something like an Auburn Gear LSD. Depending on where it breaks in the carrier sometimes it spits out the regulator and lock device, sometimes it spilts the carrier enough down the middle to where it spits out the spider gears and cross shaft. If it does option 2 you'll know it when the truck stops moving. Option one often leaves you able to keep on driving like as if you have an open diff, sometimes forever and then sometimes the carrier finally gives out and leaves you with a locked up rear end that won't rotate and most people do not realize they had a problem until they go to change the gear oil and find little springs and metal pieces of weird shaped doo dads in the bottom of the diff.

If you absolutely need a LSD, then moving on to something like an Auburn LSD, which uses a spring packed clutch and is pretty reliable overall is the best compromise overall. The next level above that is a detroit locker but I hear a lot of folks complain about the ratcheting on the rear end when they make a turn, and then the upper tier is something like an ARB air locker, which gives you the ultimate ability to have super nice road manngers, and a locked up diff when you need traction across the whole axle.

I think the quantity for gear oil is just a tad less than 2 quartz.

I know when I had my Ram quadcab it had a posi in the rear and I hated it on rainy days. It actually contributed to less traction because one wheel was already breaking traction so the moment you tapped the gas the rear end would get out of control fast.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
What breaks with the G80 can't usually be fixed because it actually fractures the carrier, so in the face of spending 500 or more dollars on a carrier, people usually opt to go with a wrecking yard open and rebuild that, or upgrade to something like an Auburn Gear LSD. Depending on where it breaks in the carrier sometimes it spits out the regulator and lock device, sometimes it spilts the carrier enough down the middle to where it spits out the spider gears and cross shaft. If it does option 2 you'll know it when the truck stops moving. Option one often leaves you able to keep on driving like as if you have an open diff, sometimes forever and then sometimes the carrier finally gives out and leaves you with a locked up rear end that won't rotate and most people do not realize they had a problem until they go to change the gear oil and find little springs and metal pieces of weird shaped doo dads in the bottom of the diff.

If you absolutely need a LSD, then moving on to something like an Auburn LSD, which uses a spring packed clutch and is pretty reliable overall is the best compromise overall. The next level above that is a detroit locker but I hear a lot of folks complain about the ratcheting on the rear end when they make a turn, and then the upper tier is something like an ARB air locker, which gives you the ultimate ability to have super nice road manngers, and a locked up diff when you need traction across the whole axle.

I know when I had my Ram quadcab it had a posi in the rear and I hated it on rainy days. It actually contributed to less traction because one wheel was already breaking traction so the moment you tapped the gas the rear end would get out of control fast.
Im not sure but i think i wouldnt mind it locked up so both wheels turn equally when i hit the juice.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Im not sure but i think i wouldnt mind it locked up so both wheels turn equally when i hit the juice.
Your 12 bolt is a limited slip clutch and sprin type not a Gov Bomb.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

If you watched the video the little stupid wind up thing will break and it won’t engage anymore. I’ve also seen the carriers blow apart. They usually a nice dent in the cover from the inside or tear a hole in the cover.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
How can you tell when the RPO code says G80?

Wait, more specifically, what I mean is I thought G80 was the gov lock code, and if not what is that code?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
This is my reason for asking.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
How can you tell when the RPO code says G80?
12 bolts didn’t have G bombs. 8.5,8.6, 7.5and7.6 10 bolts. My 12 has a clutch and spring limited slip and my front 10 bolt has a clutch and spring limited slip

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Here it is. And ive spun them many times in the snow and it seems only 1 ever spins...

You must be registered for see images attach

He posted this earlier while you were off doing whatever!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify