Finding cracked block/head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast Ed

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
I have a 1996 5.7 Vortec converted to carb. It runs good. Stays cool- 170! It must have a cracked block or head. It keeps getting lots of brown sludge in the radiator. Also has small bubbles when running with radiator cap off. I'm trying to determine if it is a head or the block? Any ideas?

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Remove the spark plugs and see if one ore more are extra clean. If so, it's probably the head gasket or possibly cracked head. I've heard those engines are prone to crack the heads??? You can also do a compression test to find which cyl is having the issue.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If you take them off for any reason have them magnafluxed and pressure checked for cracks. I bought some from a running motor no coolant in oil and one had a hairline fracture that didnt leak but the shop didnt trust it and said first time it got close to overheating it probably would have become a crack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising