Finally Fixed the Super Sloppy Steering and removed 100% Sterring Wheel Play!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
Thanks guys for all the advice. I posted a thread about super sloppy steering several weeks ago. I recently had a Cummins Swap done on my 87 V20 Suburban. That included a complete rebuild of the front end. Every bushing balljoint tie rod end etc... was replaced on the entire vehicle. Inspecting the guys work and it's obvious he is a hell of a fabricator and mechanic. But when I got it back, it had sloppy steering and about 4 to 6 inches of play in the steering wheel. Took it to half a dozen different shops and they all put it on the rack and decided everything was perfect. Many said I needed to re-rebuild the front end, or add a crossover steer, or put in a dual steering stabilizer, etc... Needless to say none of their suggestions made much sense and all cost well over a grand. I did the steering shaft swap, didn't do any good, but at least I have u joints in there now. Had some great suggestions from the group, but nothing fixed it. Finally found and old codger mechanic to take it to. He put it on the rack and said the same thing, this thing is perfect, just like brand new. Then he put it on the ground had me bounce the wheel very slightly and then did it himself and showed me where the shaft and steering box have 0 play. Then he showed me where the ball joint in front of the right front tire was moving a little and flexing, but the tire wasn't moving. He said, "you need to pack those with grease." I told him it the entire front end was brand new with less than 6000 miles and I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. So he bet me a 12 pack of beer that it was dry. Put it back on the rack and sure enough, it took 8 pumps of the grease gun to fill that ball joint. Turns out every single fitting on the entire truck was bone dry. He wouldn't take any money for it, so I bought him two 12 packs of beer and let him know he had earned a customer for life.

It now handles and drives better than it probably did coming off the assembly line 31 years ago. Zero Play or bump steer. With the faster ratio steering box, it steers like a modern truck, but feels like a truck should. It's just a beautiful thing

Moral of the story: 1. Listen to old mechanics, their experience is more valuable than any of your vehicles. 2. Just because your builder is a master craftsman, doesn't mean that everyone that works for him is as skilled. 3. Just because you press the fitting and squeeze the handle doesn't mean there is grease in the gun and many 19 year old helpers can't tell when it's empty.

Face meet palm.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Glad you found the source of the problem. The fact that there is ANY play in that ball joint would have me concerned though. They should move smoothly, and be snug in their socket, but any play shouldn't be there. At least you know the first thing to check when it starts getting loose again.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Glad you found the source of the problem. The fact that there is ANY play in that ball joint would have me concerned though. They should move smoothly, and be snug in their socket, but any play shouldn't be there. At least you know the first thing to check when it starts getting loose again.
X2 even dry, there shouldn't be any play. It's probably wore out from no grease. BTW- thanks for the update! That was a LONG involved thread. Lol. That's great you found an old fart to figure it out....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Best bet would be to take it to someone different for an inspection. Get some different eyes on it, and a second opinion. Some experienced old fart, that won't run away from rigs like this....

Woo Hoo! Can I say I told you so, and not look like a self-centered, egotistical ass??? Lol.....

Meh, I'm gonna look like an ass anyways....

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I notice my 78 is looser (not horrible) now since i first put it on the road, i think after reading this ill give her some grease asap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg