Fauxtina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JacksonTaylor

Reaction score
First Name
Sylvan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you hate the look, please move along. Lol
I've done a few searches here but can't seem to find much about if anyone here has done this. I'm a noob to such an undertaking but have recently fallen in love with the look as well as the idea of saving thousands of dollars on a new paint job. If anyone has any advice or could maybe point me toward an informative discussion/tutorial etc. I would very much appreciate it. TIA

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Do not see anything.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I think it’s very difficult to fake a patina and have it look right. The few who’ve pulled it off it does look pretty cool but the bad ones (which is far too common) really look stupid. So imo find one that already has cool patina and go with it or do your homework and make sure the faux patina is legit

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Start with rootbeer two-stage and spray laquer primer over it! LMAO
:smokin:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Some people have based coTed using red oxide primer first, then cover it with a thin layer of rattle can gold and black....then sand through to bare metal in spots. You can also force rust by sanding various random spots on hood lines, tops of side fenders and window openings to bare metal. Once to bare metal spray hydrogen peroxide on the areas....before the peroxide dries apply a good layer of table sale. Repeat this process as needec to increase the chemical reaction and get rust. The salt mixture can sit until dry, then wiped off with a dry towel. I have also forced rust using pool acid, but that gets nasty and you need to use common sense and gloves, goggles and ody protection. If you are using this process, pick a spot where you have weeds or grass to get rid of.

patina isnt for everyone. Ignore the peeps that give you **** about liking it. Remember...it's your truck and do whatever you want. I have a 64 c10 that is truly a farm truck and is getting patina since I dont want to worry about the paint. I already have an 84 that has a paint job to worry about.

l am not a fan of spraying a gloss clear coat over patina real or fauxed...I prefer matte clear.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
l am not a fan of spraying a gloss clear coat over patina real or fauxed...I prefer matte clear.

I didnt think I would have anything to add to this conversation, but... I like my truck the way it is. I call it a patina truck. It had some small dents and scratches and other bs. I dont want it rusty, but it is the original paint and body panels. And to me, thats what I liked about it.

But after I removed the 22's, I could see the top and notice that it is starting to get some surface rust. Now, I dont want it it to go much further than what it is already.

So would you just rattle can it or actually use a paint gun and clear. I was just thinking about matte clearing it the other day so it didnt spread much or eat through the roof.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
you want a tutorial on how to ruin your paint? lol.

fake patina never looks as good as real patina. just leave your tuck outside for a few years and it will naturally get patina.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I didnt think I would have anything to add to this conversation, but... I like my truck the way it is. I call it a patina truck. It had some small dents and scratches and other bs. I dont want it rusty, but it is the original paint and body panels. And to me, thats what I liked about it.

But after I removed the 22's, I could see the top and notice that it is starting to get some surface rust. Now, I dont want it it to go much further than what it is already.

So would you just rattle can it or actually use a paint gun and clear. I was just thinking about matte clearing it the other day so it didnt spread much or eat through the roof.

You can always try matte in a rattle can as long as it is a high quality product like Eastwood or similar

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
you want a tutorial on how to ruin your paint? lol.

fake patina never looks as good as real patina. just leave your tuck outside for a few years and it will naturally get patina.

Easy for you in the rust belt midwest....out here in az. It takes longer than i will ever live .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave