factory tinted windows for 1976 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nm78bronco

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm interested in converting the rear doors, rear quarter glass and tailgate glass to the factory tinted glass (available from 1985-91??).

I called a glass shop and was told that the height of the rear door glass was shorter in 1976 than it was for the tinted glass he looked up. To me, that means that the rear door regulator was probably different too. Does anyone know if a 1985-91 regulator will bolt-in my 1976 doors? Also, would my window cranks/door panels be compatible with the later model window regulator?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Privacy glass is about 20% tint. It would be easier and cheaper for you to drop it off at a shop an have them tinted instead. Just my .02

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What the glass shop told you sounds bogus to me.

The factory smoked glass looks nicer if you ask me, but your '76 glass is much more durable. Besides the 80's glass being thinner, the factory smoked glass is laminated and it can crack easier. It also can get foggy spots between the 2 layers. Unless you already have the smoked glass, I'd also recommend just getting yours tinted.

Also, the factory tailgate glass isn't even smoked or tinted. They had a type of a black dot-matrix pattern printed onto them. They are also fairly hard to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones