Factory Style Seatbelts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
OK, so I'm putting my '79 back together and went ahead and forked over the $80 each for new seatbelts from LMC. My old ones were frayed and wouldn't retract.

So, i finally get around to putting them in 5mo later and they're not the dual-reel style that came in the truck. They have a single reel and the male portion of the buckle has a friction slider on it (like it belongs in a Buick). The female part is all floppy, no hard plastic sheath. Why pay all that from LMC and get generic stuff? I thought I was ordering 73-87 specific parts.

Does anyone know where you can get the actual dual-reel replacements? These universal things are going to drive me crazy.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've never seen replacements anywhere but you can hit up ebay for good used sets.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
The seatbelts your describing sound like mine. And mine are factory. Lapbelts only

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The seatbelts your describing sound like mine. And mine are factory. Lapbelts only

I think '76 was the last year for lap belts and I think the 3-point belts were optional then too.

I know I've seen replacement universal style 3-point belts, but nothing that is stock type. Best bet is good used belts.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
www.seatbeltplanet.com does great work and can probably rebelt your original stuff.

They custom made the 4 point belt for my center console jump seat last year. Called the owner and spoke with him in person. Fantastic is all I have to say, and the belt looks like a factory item.
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
bringing this up after talking with seatbeltplanet.

Could only find universal style belts, and previously ordered ones from lmc with very poor results. According to seatbeltplanet rep, lmc refuses to get correct orientation retractors that would work correctly in the rear of the suburbans so they could stock only one part number.

Spent the money on the universal kit from seatbeltplanet and will see how it goes. Doing all 5 belts. I have also went against the norm and ordered the 88-98 style end release buckle. They are easier to operate.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hmmm. My local upholstery supplier has tons of gm, ford and Chrysler seatbelts. Only ones hard to find are red.

I just picked up three gray lapbelts. I paid $20 for each set. My experience with LMC..... $$$$$$$

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Hmmm. My local upholstery supplier has tons of gm, ford and Chrysler seatbelts. Only ones hard to find are red.

I just picked up three gray lapbelts. I paid $20 for each set. My experience with LMC..... $$$$$$$

My issue was with retractors not locking reliably when pulling the belt suddenly or during quick stop. I do not know if they will work correctly in an actual crash, which pushed me to buy new belts. Otherwise current seatbelts are in excellent shape.

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL

What kind of upholstery supplier is that? I'm looking for shoulder belts to replace my lap belts, and $89.00 each plus tax and shipping is a bit much.

I just checked out seatbeltplanet and lmc - the belts look exactly the same, and they are the same price. The only advantage of seatbeltplanet that I see is they will glue the GM logo on for you.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
What kind of upholstery supplier is that? I'm looking for shoulder belts to replace my lap belts, and $89.00 each plus tax and shipping is a bit much.

I just checked out seatbeltplanet and lmc - the belts look exactly the same, and they are the same price. The only advantage of seatbeltplanet that I see is they will glue the GM logo on for you.

Its a local upholstery supplier called Tempe Sales, located in Tempe, Az. Not sure of where they get all of the seatblets from, but they not only carry Ford and GM, but import styles as well. They always have plenty on hand when I need some.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
OK, so I'm putting my '79 back together and went ahead and forked over the $80 each for new seatbelts from LMC. My old ones were frayed and wouldn't retract.

So, i finally get around to putting them in 5mo later and they're not the dual-reel style that came in the truck.

LMC has a very good return policy. In fact, they only charge you a restocking fee if the item is over a year old. Might give them a call if you haven't modified anything.

I bought some "direct replacement" seat belts for my 82 C10 last year from Juliano's, and they weren't even close to being direct replacements. But I decided to make them work.

I plan to have a shoe repair shop shorten the inner belts (the ones that feed down thru the seat) so the buckles sit down lower. Also just got a pair of rigid sleeves to keep the belts from sliding through the seat. Gonna work on it today!

You must be registered for see images

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I tried lmc first, and they do not set them up for easier install like seatbeltplanet does. I should have just kept factory ones, but i tested them correctly after ordering new belts.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Another sour e for seatbelts is SoCal Speedshop. My local Phoenix SoCal Speedshop carries a variety of colors.

1980 Short

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the "direct bolt in" from LMC but the reel will not allow the bench seat to go all the way back - Frustrating!!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the "direct bolt in" from LMC but the reel will not allow the bench seat to go all the way back - Frustrating!!

Are you sure you mounted the "L" bracket correctly? I had the LMC belts in my '79 and had no issues getting the seat to go flush with the back of the cab. The retractors were a tight fit. I think I had to cant the driver's side just a bit to clear the seat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128