Factory front leaf spring sag.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinDube

1976 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
So my truck used to be a plow truck its whole life and the front factory leaf springs are arching in a negative way now. Would it hurt to flip the front springs and maybe get another inch higher and ride a bit smoother or?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
No, they aren't designed to do that. I would buy new springs.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The 1/2 and 3/4 trucks all had a slight negative arch anyway. Not saying that yours hasn't sagged from the plow years, but just a heads up that a brand new set of springs won't give you a positive arch if that is what you were after.

AustinDube

1976 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
ah okay

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Are they two leaf or three leaf?

If they are two leaf then the installation of a three leaf pack would pick the front end up a bit.

K

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To get rid of the negative arch, I used a 2" lift via Tuff Country EZ-Ride. To even out the front and back wheel spacing to the fender cutouts, I paired it with a 3" Tuff Country EZ-Ride lift in the back. The ride is much better when you get some positive-arch springs under it, but that means going to at least a 2" lift, because the stock springs were negative-arch.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
To get rid of the negative arch, I used a 2" lift via Tuff Country EZ-Ride. To even out the front and back wheel spacing to the fender cutouts, I paired it with a 3" Tuff Country EZ-Ride lift in the back. The ride is much better when you get some positive-arch springs under it, but that means going to at least a 2" lift, because the stock springs were negative-arch.

This^

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Do positive arch springs actually give a better ride?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Do positive arch springs actually give a better ride?

Ride quality is all about spring rate and the actual amount of weight on that particular spring.

High spring rate + little weight = Stiff ride
Low spring rate + little weight = Nice ride
Low spring rate + lotsa weight = Sagging & bouncy ride
High spring rate + lotsa weight = Nice ride

Get the spring rate that works best for your truck. If you've got a big block, heavy duty bumper, dual batteries, lotsa gismos in the front or rear, or plan on hauling loads all the time... Go with a heavier duty spring.

If you're planning to only really drive around town without hauling much, got a small block, stock bumpers, and want a comfortable ride... Go for a softer spring rate

Shocks make a big difference as well.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am more interested in specific negative vs positive arch springs with same rates. The ride then would be more dependent on how well the spring can move

Ride quality is all about spring rate and the actual amount of weight on that particular spring.

High spring rate + little weight = Stiff ride
Low spring rate + little weight = Nice ride
Low spring rate + lotsa weight = Sagging & bouncy ride
High spring rate + lotsa weight = Nice ride

Get the spring rate that works best for your truck. If you've got a big block, heavy duty bumper, dual batteries, lotsa gismos in the front or rear, or plan on hauling loads all the time... Go with a heavier duty spring.

If you're planning to only really drive around town without hauling much, got a small block, stock bumpers, and want a comfortable ride... Go for a softer spring rate

Shocks make a big difference as well.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I am more interested in specific negative vs positive arch springs with same rates. The ride then would be more dependent on how well the spring can move
If you think about it a little, a negative spring in compression is similar to a positive spring on extension. The spring eyes try to come together as if bending them in the middle.

On extension for the negative is similar to the compression of a positive spring. The movement is trying to flatten it out.

My assumption would be that there is a slightly larger resistance to flattening the spring versus further bending it in, which would actually give the negatively arched springs a slightly better ride quality.

Would make sense in that the stock springs in the front are negative, but the rears are positive. Seems like the original design was to go towards a smoother ride up front with the weight capacity in the rear. Also makes sense in that the stock springs compress pretty well, but have very limited extension.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is about what my thoughts were. So when earlier in the thread it was mentioned that positive arched have nicer ride, it made me question it.

If you think about it a little, a negative spring in compression is similar to a positive spring on extension. The spring eyes try to come together as if bending them in the middle.

On extension for the negative is similar to the compression of a positive spring. The movement is trying to flatten it out.

My assumption would be that there is a slightly larger resistance to flattening the spring versus further bending it in, which would actually give the negatively arched springs a slightly better ride quality.

Would make sense in that the stock springs in the front are negative, but the rears are positive. Seems like the original design was to go towards a smoother ride up front with the weight capacity in the rear. Also makes sense in that the stock springs compress pretty well, but have very limited extension.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969