Factory Cruise Control in a Non-Cruise Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
I'm sure somebody's done this at some point, but I searched and didn't find anything.

I've got a '78 K30 that I'd like to install cruise in. The truck is a total stripper aside from mechanicals (ex-brushfire truck), and I'm going to be swapping steering columns anyway for tilt. I've got a good tilt column out of a '76, but I would also like to add factory cruise and the turn signal mounted intermittent wipers/washer. My questions are:

-To get the stalk mounted intermittent wipers, I need to find an '84-'87 column, correct?
-Will an 84-87 column bolt right in to my '78 or were there changes made (I read something once about the spline count on the shaft changing at some point)?
-Will the column's main electrical connector connect to my '78's harness?
-What are all the necessary parts to retrofit factory cruise?
-What are all the necessary parts to retrofit factory stalk mounted intermittent wipers/washer?
-Is the housing that holds the turn signal stuff on those '84-'87 columns (the housing with the box sticking out the side) the standard aluminum/pot metal like the older ones or is it plastic?

Many thanks, and if this has been covered somewhere and I just missed it, I'd really appreciate a link.

And just for fun, here's the truck:

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Hokay...

You are going to need:

1984-91 steering column with tilt, cruise and delay
Delay wiper module
Get as much of the wiring as you can
A vacuum ball from a newer square
Vacuum servo and associated parts (bracket, cable/chain)
Brake switch for cruise
Lots of vacuum line I think the servo to brake switch is 3/8 and the rest is 5/16

1978 will be okay as it doesn't have the splined column.

Housing will be plastic.

I may have forgotten something in there.

You'll have to do some wiring, I do believe your main wiring harness will plug in to the 1984-91 column harness. The rest will need work. Chengny or myself can get you the wiring diagrams you will need.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IIRC, what you want to do should be pretty easy. Not so much if you had a '77. '84 and later column should mount right up and plug in. If you want, you can use the floor dimmer switch pigtail and plug it right into the column-mounted dimmer switch. Ignition switch should plug right in. When you pull a column from the donor truck, also get the wiper delay control module and wire pigtail. You will splice the pigtail into your existing wiper switch harness (colors should be the same), plug that into the module, then the module plugs into the column harness.

I'm not so sure about the cruise stuff. You should be able to use the entire setup from the donor truck though.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I had to change the intermediate shaft when I swapped my '78 auto non-tilt for an '81 auto tilt. The coupler at the end of the column is different.

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
Thanks all for the info. I guess I've got some serious parts scrounging to do if I'm going to get this done. I might have to think it over... I did some searching, and I found several aftermarket cruise systems priced at least within the bounds of reason. They look like they'd be a heck of a lot easier to install, and maybe even cheaper in the long run since I've already got a good tilt column. I can live without intermittent wipers. I mainly just wanted the wiper controls on the stalk, but I guess I can live without that too. Honestly, it may sound goofy, but part of it is I really don't want plastic on the steering column. It bugs me. :Pshyco:

Do you guys know if the connector from a '76 column will mate with the '78 harness in the truck? I can swap intermediate shafts over if necessary.

Does anybody have any experience with aftermarket cruise? I've heard less than stellar things about the older systems over the years, but I imagine it has come a long way with modern computer tech. Something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-crs-2000-2/overview/

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can easily add delay wipers to your '78. You just need a switch and module from a '78-'83 truck with delay, then stick it in your truck. I wouldn't be afraid to try an aftermarket cruise setup, I think there's a couple good kits out there now.

bowtieguy

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.0L
I have an '87 parts truck with factory cruise if you're interested, and I am located by Rockford, Illinois.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
bringing up an old thread...

what years did the columns go from metal to plastic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat